Partner P70 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it in wood today. Didn't have a descent bar or chain for it, everything I have that fits it is .058 gauge and I couldn't find a good loop of it on the place without robbing one of our runners. I dressed the bar that came with it and ground an old chain that is back to the witness marks.

It runs pretty strong but something is not just right with the ignition. I'll try a different system from a P55 and see if it helps.

I tinkered around with the rear handle for what seemed like forever, the end of the presence lever spring kept slipping off. I finally had the do some hillbilly mods to it now all is well.

Welp, here's the video. See what you think.

[video=youtube;XuE_XUoG1NM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuE_XUoG1NM[/video]

Hillbilly mods.... Sometimes thats all it takes.LOL
:msp_thumbsup: Looks pretty strong to me Randy.

Has a nice tone to it. I agree, cutting very well.

Whats wrong with the ignition? Seemed to be sparking (and cutting) OK to me.

Looks like it running great. Why do you suspect issues with the ignition? It seems to be running out cleanly with no missing.

I ran it for at least 20 minutes before the video. Started it, let it idle for awhile... Cooled off. Repeated the same with some throttle blips added. Cooled again, ran it a few cuts while tuning. It started missing a bit then, after it was good and warm. I let it cool off again before we shot the video. Seems like the coil or ignition module could be on the way out.

What I think is I need to send you my 7000. :clap:

That thing sounds and looks like it runs great.

I have run a stock 044 and that thing looks like it would run with it, but hard to tell really.

Has a nice tone to it. I agree, cutting very well.

Thanks for the kind words. I sure enjoy bringing these old saws back to life!!!

I'll see about the ignition if I get time tomorrow. Once it's all squared away I'll order a new bar and chain. :)

I finally got a chance to use this saw today in some +20" white oak. It runs really strong. The clutch cover does stop up when noodling, but many of my saws do as well.

The ignition issue I was having was just a faulty wire. I did try the p55 ignition system but the timing advance was not right for this saw.

I'm very pleased with the way this one turned out, I would just as soon have this saw with me when cutting as any I own.

Partner Saws

The Partner line of saws were great when I bought my first one. I think it was in 1977 or 1978, I bought my first P70, I was about 15 or 16, cutting cedar trees , for fence posts and what not. I still had that saw untill about two years ago, and sold it for $250 to a guy who wanted a professional saw. Since then I have bought 2 more P70's, a P85,a P7000 plus, and last week a S65 for $30.00. There power to weight ratio is fantastic. I have a Husky 395xp, with a 36 inch bar I use for cutting down thorn apple trees. I still love the partners for there light weight, and power. A real nice job on the porting work, and restoration. I'll take the 30 year old saw over the new junk any day!!!!!!! Shoot us a video when ur done, and let er rip!!!!!!!

The Partner line of saws were great when I bought my first one. I think it was in 1977 or 1978, I bought my first P70, I was about 15 or 16, cutting cedar trees , for fence posts and what not. I still had that saw untill about two years ago, and sold it for $250 to a guy who wanted a professional saw. Since then I have bought 2 more P70's, a P85,a P7000 plus, and last week a S65 for $30.00. There power to weight ratio is fantastic. I have a Husky 395xp, with a 36 inch bar I use for cutting down thorn apple trees. I still love the partners for there light weight, and power. A real nice job on the porting work, and restoration. I'll take the 30 year old saw over the new junk any day!!!!!!! Shoot us a video when ur done, and let er rip!!!!!!!

Welcome to ArboristSite!!!

I was planning to sell this saw until I spent the day cutting with it. I must agree with you these are great tools.

Back