partner s55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of a huge and diverse family of saws on this basic chassis, with a long product cycle, from the r16 to the 7000 plus.
Just off the top of my head, Farmers, r420, r517, p55, s65, p70, a few in rebrands like Skil...

Seemingly endless variations and combinations of displacement, ingnitions, port configuratons, etc.
A lot of mix and match possibilities, so a lot of bitsa saws, often making them difficult to identify.

Not sure if it applies across the history of the series however the semi-pro series(S) saws that I have worked on typically had a single ring piston, the pro series saws had two rings. Mostly dealing with s65 saws and such. I was told there could, should, would, might be other differences however that was the most common. Not sure how the farmer size saws fit in as I have not had any of those.

I always enjoyed the 65s and larger saws. Oilers are pain to service and solid good condition handles are getting hard to find, air filters as well. Decent runners, good sounding saw, always enjoyed the ergonomics of the larger ones.

If the saw came to me with a bar chances are it was a 16" or 18" hard tip. Those saws and the Husq 61 platforms always seemed to have a flogged out short hard tip.

Not sure if it applies across the history of the series however the semi-pro series(S) saws that I have worked on typically had a single ring piston, the pro series saws had two rings. ....

That may be the case, I don't know - but more important is that the semi-pro/farmer versions came with open port cylinders, that produced a little less power than the closed port ones of the pro models.
Some semi-pro/farmer models also came without AV (like the S-50 and a couple of the older "F" ones - but not the S-55/65).
The original model in the "family" (R-16) also was lacking AV, the R-17 was one of the first chainsaw models to have it - and there were a lot of "R" models with just minor differences between them trough the 1970s, following the initial models of the late 1960s.

Back