Partner??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice old saw.. Some of them are really hard to identify. The parts on the saws were quite often changed. And sometimes not knowing for sure is half the fun. But if you really want to know I would start by measuring the diameter the piston( which isn't as hard as it sounds) determine what is has for an ignition system. the chain oiling system can help sometimes

If I was still in the Richmond area I would run across the river and take it off your hands! As stated, try measuring the bore of the cylinder (remove the muffler and use a popsicle stick). You can also see if there is a serial number tag on it an post those numbers. Looks to have a factory clutch cover for a bow on it.

My guess is a S55A or a S65A, but I am far from sure. It isn't a newer one, if that top cover is original.

Anyway, the black parts indicate it is a "farmer"/"semi-pro" saw, and not a pro one.

The black cover looks suspicious. if you remove the clutch and check under the needle bearing for an oil passage on the crankshaft. S models did not have one but the Pro models did.

Several parts often are changed out on saws that old, so a positive ID is almost impossible, specially when the saw is part of a "saw family" as common as that one.

This is what I can tell about the saw hopefully it helps.
Bore: 48mm
serial #: 853729
# on cyl base: 340834
Ignition: Electronic
Name on coil: Prufrex
Carb: Tillotson HS117b 419

I removed the clutch and there IS a oil port on the crank under the clutch bearing.

48mm means it is 65cc.

We do of course not know if that black starter cover is the original - if it isn't, it could well be a R420, that is a few years older, and a Pro model.

Back