Paving over Silver Maple roots, then pruning branches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buliwyf

Reaction score
I'd like to widen my driveway (yellow line in photo), but there's a tree smack in the middle of my lawn. It is a 30ft high Silver Maple. I think the bark diameter is about a little less than 2ft.

If the paving contractor comes, digs 1ft deep for gravel prep and hits/damages some surface roots (orange in photo), will the tree eventually die? I don't want the tree dying then falling over to my neighbor's house haha.

I haven't pruned the tree since I moved here 2 years ago, so will disturbed roots + pruning in July be too traumatic for the tree?

25ip08n.jpg

I'm not sure how old the tree is (bought this house 2 years ago), but it's April here in Canada and it is budding, and I kinda would feel bad if I cut it down for a parking spot.

That is getting close to the anchoring roots. Measure the circumference of the tree...if you are cutting roots within that distance from the trunk, you are cutting significant anchors. So you said it is 2' in diameter (looks smaller?)...that means you want to be 6' away from the trunk.

IMO, Silver maple is a poor choice for a small yard. It WILL get big fast. I would bet that tree is only about 12 years old. People usually prune these too heavily and that makes them even worse as larger cuts are prone to rot. I vote for removal and starting over with more appropriate species (and not Pin Oak).

I measured it this morning, the circumference is about 6 1/2 feet and no more than 7 feet.

So if I cut some roots 4 to 5 feet away, by digging 1-foot to the ground, there's a good chance i'll kill it?

Not necessarily outright "kill" the tree...you are cutting the roots it needs to be anchored to the ground. Instead, I'd say you are de-stabilizing the tree. That is worse than killing it because if it blows over, not only do you end up with a dead tree, but a tree landing in an inopportune location at an inopportune time.

There is also a chance that you Will Not kill the tree.
Then, as the roots regrow they will bust up your new driveway.
Not a good thing. Cut down the Silver Maple and replant a Jap. Maple.

David

Latest posts

Back