pay rate for ground help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, a good groundman is worth the same as a good climber. Trust a man with a saw and ropes he can make the job run very smooth, get an idiot and it all grinds to a stop.

Yup....for regular crew, I want everyone to be a climber, or at least, a VERY skilled ground man. My regular guys make $200-350 for a full day. Extra grunt laborers get $130-160 a day...and don't get invited back if they can't get the work done.

Pnw

Look like the PNW is the place to be for tree work... I pay 25 to 35 hr for climbing help depending on their experience level, difficulty of job and whether its my tools or theirs.
I pay 12 to 20 for groundies/ brush draggers depending on their skills [might be a climber @ 20hr who although just dragging or watching can do an aerial rescue if needed]
Consequently, I have a pretty good compliment of guys I can call on that are hard workers, personable and well spoken, and very competent.
I catch myself now and then bemoaning the cash I fork out for wages... the other day I reminded myself why it is important to have good help; an unskilled worker who was helping me just about caused a tree to rock back unto a house. On another job a semi skilled know it all managed to destroy a husky 55 rancher...
IMHO, Good help is not cheap but its way cheaper in the long run.

IMHO, Good help is not cheap but its way cheaper in the long run.

Or " you get what you pay for "

Shoot, I make just over 14 an hour, and I climb or operate the lift and do the ground work after I've made the mess

Could be time to move on, how long have you been in the position?

Could be that the boss just has a big cushion for incremental raise. Maybe you should ask for a production bonus to be built in to your compensation as a forman.

In a month or so i will be looking for a full time climber

Interested in a partimer? I'm only 2.5 hrs from you and could work a couple days a month, I like travel and working with different crews.

PM me or call, we can talk.

Back