pear tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a pear tree, that needs taking down. wind blew most of the branches off. just a trunk left now about 15' tall. was wandering if it was good firewood. It was the non bearing fruit variety if that makes a diff. I did not know if I wanted to mess with it or not.

Never had any pear but would assume it's in the same class as apple, which is some mighty fine fuel. We save apple wood for special occasions and holidays. Good btu's (though not quite top of the chart) with an exceptional aroma.

Save some of that for smoking ribs!!

Most fruitwoods do a WONDERFUL job of flavoring ribs on the grill. Apple, Cherry, Pear, Peach...

Save some small chunks, soak them in water for a couple of hours before grilling...

Start coals and push all to one side of the grill.

Place a couple of soaked chunks on the top of the hot colas and put marinated/dry rubbed ribs on the other side of the grill.

Have a beer

Add a couple of chunks of soaked wood and about 7-9 charcoal briquettes every 30-40 minutes for about 3 hours..

Drink beer

MMMMM! :cheers:

Oops!

Just saw that this was an ornamental pear and not a fruit-bearing variety... I dunno if that makes a difference.

We had one of those ornamental pear trees at our previous house... it dropped S:censored:T all over the yard 8 months out of the year.

Good riddance.

I guess I better git er done. sounds like good wood wether grilling or for heat, I just cut down an apple tree, just cant wait till next summer and try using that for some grilling. talk about having a beer, would 2 or 3 be okay.:givebeer: :givebeer:

I got some ornamental pear last year from someone that had one cut down. I didn't have to cut any of it up, but I split it all by hand (no hydraulic splitter), and the bigger chunks (around 20") diameter took a few extra swings. The wood spirals as it grows, kinda like some other fruit trees I think. Most pears tend to split off into branches so quick that there isn't much 'trunk' to them, just a lot of limb wood. I've only gotten into a couple of pieces of it thus far this year, and it does seem to give good heat, but I'm no expert by any means. I'd go for it, just have them get rid of all the small stuff (there will be a lot of it), Good Luck!

Pear wood

All I do is burn pear wood. Cut it so it will fit directly into fireplace. It doesn't split well. It spirals and chunks. It doesn't take too long to season. Sometimes when I have a fire it will still have red coals 24 hours later(fireplace not a stove). I like it better than apple.

Bradford

I sure hope its good because I have almost 2 cords of it from a previous storm. I will say its great to throw a few chunks on the grill with chicken and :cheers:

I have a friend who has a pear tree, that needs taking down. wind blew most of the branches off. just a trunk left now about 15' tall. was wandering if it was good firewood. It was the non bearing fruit variety if that makes a diff. I did not know if I wanted to mess with it or not.
I burned at least a cord of Bradford pear wood last year. It's a beautiful deep orange color and needs about nine months to dry if cut green. It burns just as hot as apple wood, if not hotter--perhaps like mulberry but not as many sparks. Cleveland pear would be about the same.

Splitting it is really fun. If you wait until it dries, this tough stuff will suddenly give way after about 12 tons of force and make a sound as loud as a cherry bomb. :clap:

Back