Recognizing dead branches / Tree maintenance recommandations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XaviC90

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on how to make sure that I do not mess up my tree by cutting a good branch.

For a bit more context I have an old pear in the middle of my garden which is definitely the highlight of the property, so as you understand I am quite scared of damaging it.

Since I acquired the house, a bit more than one year ago, one of the branches never gave any leaves or signs of life, which I guess means that it is dead? However it is not a small branch, which makes the decision to cut it quite difficult.

Otherwise regarding tree maintenance, how should I proceed to cut the twigs that are out of reach, is it possible to climb fruit trees even if I am on the heavier side?

Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice day!

Xavier

Break or cut the branch every few inches until you get to green wood or the trunk. Our pears are popping. You should see the buds beginning to swell on good branches.

Break or cut the branch every few inches until you get to green wood or the trunk. Our pears are popping. You should see the buds beginning to swell on good branches.
Thanks a lot for the information! I will try to do so, it is not exactly a small branch and the top part is slightly complicated to access.

Welcome!

Dead wood removal is easiest when the tree is in leaf.

Read up on Fire Blight transmission in pears before you do any pruning.
Thanks for the recommendation, I am trying to desinfect my tools every time I prune, but I will try to find information on how to detect the disease, it will help for sure!

Latest posts

Back