peavey/cant hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the difference between the peavey and the cant hook. what were each used for. I know that sounds like a stupid question, and yes i do understant the priciple use behind them, but there are some differences and i'd like to know what they are. why does the peavey have a point and the cant hook have a tooth? were they both just used for positioning and rolling logs? what size logs are they capable of handling? I did a search on the defenition of each and was unable to come up with anything useful towards answering the question.

Taking a guess...

For the last couple of decades I've used a cant hook by stihl with a replaceable short spike that screws or hammers into the head end of the wooden handle, the spike is great for thick bark poles/logs to get a good grip into the bark to hold the head in place and brace so the roll can be performed where as poles/logs with thin or no bark require the hook or teeth on the inner face of the metal head to get grip on the invariably slimy slippery log...

I know the peavy is similar to the tool that they used in the river log drives years ago. They had a long handle approx. 10 or 12 feet with a metal point on the end. It was used to shift logs around in the water to keep them from jamming up. Somebody here probably knows more about it than me. The peavy can be used to roll logs and the pointed end can be used obviously to jam between and shift the logs around. I hope this helps alittle.

Figures...

I was guessing the long spike might be used as a walking/pushing stick on river logs, obviously dont know much about that here cept muckin bout as a kid pretendin ta be a log rider...

The tooth on the cant hook can also be inserted into the log having made a small bore cut when rolling windblown/hungup trees off their stump or dislodge the crown. Also used as a felling aid, slide the tooth into your backcut and you have leverage for those sitters.

Latest posts

Back