Perforated steel squaretube for guide rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found a 8' length of this stuff attached to a road sign at a local dump this past fall, and after looking at it I think it might be the perfect rail system for my needs:

panel-telespar-square.jpg

I guess it's commercially known as Telespar:
http://www.alliedtube.com/sign-support/traffic-sign-posts/telespar-square.asp

I have been considering building something like BobL's Unistrut rail system, but I don't know that it would serve me the best. This stuff, on the other hand, looks much more versatile and sturdy, but probably not all that much heavier. Since money's a bit tight right now I'd probably just get two 12' X 2" sections, but the beauty of the system is the concentric fitting of the different sizes. I could put a 4' length of the next size down in as a splice to join additional pieces for extra length. Or it would be even easier to just overlap a couple sections and bolt them together.

The problem I'm having is actually FINDING some locally. I've been to the two main steel shops with no luck. The last one told me to get in touch with the city works or district road service and see if they would sell me some, as it's used for sign posts all over here.

It's pretty cheap from this website but I have no idea what the shipping would be.

Last edited:
They look good Brad, especially coming predrilled like that, but watch out for strength and wall thickness.

My first rails were 0.05" wall thickness and 3/4" SHS section and were fine for the small mill and CS I was using.
The next rails made to handle the 076 and the BIL mill were C section (unistrut style) made from 0.063" wall thickness and 3/4 x 1 1/2" RHS but they bent out of shape after about 3 logs.

Now I have 0.105" thick 1 3/4 x 1/3/4" Unistrut. They are very heavy but much stronger. They will still bend if they are not supported across more than 3ft but they do spring back to being straight.

The advantage of a unistrut style cross section is the cross pieces at the end of the log can easily slide up and down to accommodate different log lengths.

Last edited:
Check the price again

I looked at the link and thought it was a pretty good price. But then I noticed they had unistrut and it was priced by the foot and that price was way out of line with what I can buy it for at Home Depot. Not trying to be a jerk about this just make sure their price for the telespar isn't by the foot.
Scott

BTW, I think you're right about the telespar being good for guide rails. It looks to me like it would work well and be pretty flexible for different configurations.

Back