Petition: Repeal regs on CARB compliant fuel can nozzles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been many complaints in this forum regarding CARB compliant and similar gas can nozzles. I just wanted to give a heads up on a White House petition to repeal the regs that mandate these pain-in-the-arse (IMO) nozzles. It may go nowhere, but just getting this issue on the radar may help.

I'm not intending for this to be a political discussion. It's gear issue that we've been discussing for a long time. Check it out:

WHITE HOUSE PETITION: Repeal of the EPA regulations mandating unwanted portable gas container nozzles

(For the record, it's not my petition )

these nozzles are are so hard to use that they INCREASE vapors because people take the cap off and use a funnel. Or just poor the gas directly out of the can spilling it all over.

The local Grange store here sells them for IIRC around $7.00. The package lists several states where they cannot be sold.

I saw those as well and it burned my @$$ to think I had to buy a $7 nozzle for a brand new $12 can. Just aint right..

NAPA sells heavy, vented, red 5 gallon “storage” cans. They are the wide mouth style with the spout made from vinyl hose and pvc fittings. I bought some that are very similar years ago and they are really nice cans. You can still buy a similar can from VP fuel but you have to buy the spout separately.

The last style of can with the vent in the center of the spout can be easily modified by drilling a hole in the handle and fishing a tire valve stem minus the gut.

Why rely on ineffective government to solve your problems when you can easily do it yourself.

Also agree with stumpy75 and nick Kent that the no spill cans are a good design. Why other companies haven’t come up with a better solution is beyond me. The rule says they have to seal but it doesn’t say they have to suck.

I almost bought one of those nospill cans a couple weeks ago, UNTILL, I saw they wanted $44 for it. Went to Lowes and the other type of cans with the twisty nozzel where $22. Didnt buy one of those either. Those where 5gal size. Used to be a seller on Ebay, Ellison Contry Store, that sold just the flip up vent caps you could install in your non vented cans, but last time I checked they are no longer ebay sellers. Wish I had bought a sack full of those vents.

I really like the nospill 2.5 gallon gas can's for chain saw mix. Makes filling the saws a no mess job. I still have a couple old school five gallon sears plastic gas cans for reg gas.

I almost bought one of those nospill cans a couple weeks ago, UNTILL, I saw they wanted $44 for it. Went to Lowes and the other type of cans with the twisty nozzel where $22. Didnt buy one of those either. Those where 5gal size. Used to be a seller on Ebay, Ellison Contry Store, that sold just the flip up vent caps you could install in your non vented cans, but last time I checked they are no longer ebay sellers. Wish I had bought a sack full of those vents.
Yeah that looks nice but not $44 nice.

I watched the no spill video and saw a nice "can"and some great "jugs" but it had nothing to do with gas containers!

I hate the glug-glug cans myself... if they would attach a vent tube to the cap that would reach the bottom of the jug they they would work well. Having the vent right the spout is ridiculous. It would be so easy to design something that vented properly.

This is the tube that vents my can. If I could attach an extension to reach the bottom of the can, no more glug glug. It's right at 5/16" OD. I need some flexible 1/4" fuel line and a gas safe float so that it stays above the gas when I tip it up.

Vent.jpg
AF1QipM-tlOXy17gQUnV6IfqXmhKtFAlQRNPXkD5kOFU

AF1QipM-tlOXy17gQUnV6IfqXmhKtFAlQRNPXkD5kOFU

None of my cans have the horrible 3 hands needed nozzle, but they are new enough to not have vents.

I just drilled a large sheetmetal screw in the back where the vent should be. It's loose enough it unscrews by hand. A few cans I did probably 8-10 years ago, still holding up fine. Now pour faster than a misquito pissing too.

One of my biggest complaints is cans that dont have a side handle. Tell me how they expect you to pour a 5gal can of gas into a lawn mower when you have to pick it up from the top with one hand and twist the twisty thangmagig with the other. I spill more than I get in the mower. i got to looking at Ebay and found 20 replaceable vent caps for $6 with free shipping. I think I am going to retrofit a few of my old cans.

My mods to my cans, this one is for diesel. Thake the core out and use just the velve and cap. Yes it could have been at the back of the handle. But the first I did and though the back of the handle would be in the way.

lnnelj2.jpg

Ready to install.

MycTDhE.jpg

jUbpzOa.jpg

A little dollar store soap helps slick it up.

0k8bZyD.jpg

Even the old can with the flip up broken vent it worked on.

gIyy4u7.jpg

:D Al

Back