PETZL GriGri 2 RECALL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinnaclePete

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
NOTE: The new GriGri 2s were first made available in late April / early May of this year. The GriGri 2 is a smaller, more compact unit than the original GriGri.

If you have questions about which GriGri you might have, contact Pinnacle Arborist Supplies at 501-663-8733 or the supplier where you purchased the GriGri.

As of Monday, June 20, 2011, Petzl has issued a RECALL FOR REPLACEMENT FOR ALL GRIGRI 2 assisted braking belay devices (D14 2O, D14 2G, D14 2B) from serial number 10326 through 11136, sold after January 1, 2011.

Replacement GRIGRI 2’s for end-users will begin shipping immediately. End-users who own affected GRIGRI 2’s will receive priority. Petzl is increasing production and Dealers will receive revised versions of the GRIGRI 2 as soon as supplies are available. Going forward, we will contact you with additional availability updates.

Customers who have purchased the GRIGRI 2, please inform them of this Recall for Replacement and direct them to www.petzl.com/grigri2recall

Petzl appreciates your help and patience, and we apologize for the difficult situation this creates for you. We are working hard to ensure that you receive your replacement GRIGRI 2’s as quickly as possible.

With sincere apologies,

Petzl America
Freeport Center M-7
PO Box 160447
Clearfield, UT 84016

I was just going to post about this.........

Just bought one two days ago.

Anyone know the reason for the recall?

I was just going to post about this.........

Just bought one two days ago.

Anyone know the reason for the recall?

My Petzl rep explained it as a single "mis-use", where the user pulled the handle back too far and too hard and the cam locked in the open position. No fall or injury was reported. Likely in a panic situation, people want to hold on and pull something, where as with the GriGri, when you let go of the handle, the cam locks the rope in place. The "fix" by Petzl is going to be limiting how far the handle can be pulled back, so the cam won't fully dis-engage the rope.

The GriGri has been a safe, reliable belay/descender for a long time (the color on mine has been nearly worn off) without major issues. Read the instructions, get training, always keep the tension hand (right) on the rope when descending or belaying.

You can either ship your GG2 back to Petzl for replacement or get with your supplier who should be able to help.

Back