Pex fittings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK .. OWB is on the pad .. trench is dug and Pex is on it's way. What advice is there on the fittings? Looks like I will need only 8 .. two at OWB, four at the transition from insulated pex to in house runs and then connections to the exchanger. My understanding is that there are a few diff fittings ... the crimp type that I need to rent a special tool for or Shark (?) that are more expensive but no tool needed. What is the boards advice ??

I feel that the everlock fittings are the best way to go. YOou need to get the special tool but most plumbing supply houses will let you use them. They are expensive fittings but if you only need 8 then it's worth it. They are the only fitting rated to be buried in concrete. Alos they are very simple to use.

I'm set up pretty much and waiting for my OWB.

I used Shark Bite fittings found at Home Depot.

They are expensive but I like them.

You will need to buy a little plastic tool if you need to seperate the fittings. The tool costs less than 2 bucks.

They work great for joining copper to pex. Just make sure you push them on all the way.

I used the shark bites and they worked great. Im too cheap to buy the tool so I just remove them with my fingers.
The type of PEX tubing you buy, will dictate the fitting. They have a different internal diameter. The type I used to plumb my house (bought from plumber) uses a PEX ring that fits over the end of the tube. Both get expanded and then slid on a barbed fitting. The other, that is available locally, uses a steel crimp ring. They are not interchangable.

We used the Sharkbite fittings for PEX, got them at a local plumbing supply store.

blue_.jpg

I used the shark bites and they worked great. Im too cheap to buy the tool so I just remove them with my fingers.
The type of PEX tubing you buy, will dictate the fitting. They have a different internal diameter. The type I used to plumb my house (bought from plumber) uses a PEX ring that fits over the end of the tube. Both get expanded and then slid on a barbed fitting. The other, that is available locally, uses a steel crimp ring. They are not interchangable.

there are actually 2 types of crimp rings one is stainless steel and the other is actually copper I believe... ( well the ones I have are)

Shark! Shark! Shark!

They will work fine. I can't think of the name, but I have some compression fittings that work pretty darn well. Involves a nut that screws down against the fitting. Not terribly expensive either.

-Pat

Sharky

My OWB install is a little overengineered....went with Sharkbite vs. crimp, cost of 1/2, 3/4, 1" crimpers buys a lot of fittings, watch the white plastic inserts inside the sharks, misalignment can push these into the fitting, causing a potential blockage. I take them out, put them into the end of the pipe..also, make sure your cuts are nice n' square.

I used a combination of different fittings. I already had the crimp tool, so I used the copper crimp style on most. There were two fittings that the store was out of, so I went with the sharkbite style on them. Where I come out of my underground line, they were too close to each other to use the crimp or sharkbite, so I used just regular ol hose clamps. Yep, hose clamps. They all three work pretty good.

lots of great info .. so some more questions ... I keep hearing that fittings depend on the type of pex ... for the inside run I am assuming that wherever I but the pex from will know the fittings that work with it ... but the underground stuff ... how do I find out .. trial and error? My best guess is I need 8 fitting.. two to connect lines on OWB, four for connecting outside run to inside (hopefully cheaper pex) and then two more to connect to HX. that sound right or am I missing something? Anyone with pics of the run from the connectio from outside pex to HX?

Also the water to water exchanger ... any tips there?

thanks,
steve

If you only have 8 fittings look for these

They will work fine. I can't think of the name, but I have some compression fittings that work pretty darn well. Involves a nut that screws down against the fitting. Not terribly expensive either.

-Pat

Not sure what these are called but I used them on my pool heater and they work very well with no special tools. I like them because they can be easily removed and re-used if you make changes or adjustments

Here's the scoop, (according to questions I have asked of the pro's!)
You need a full flow fitting to maximize your BTU's gained.
A full flow fitting would be a wirsbo expander type fitting. It is an expensive tool but I'm sure a plumber could hook you up.
If you can't find that, a sharkbite or equivalent should suffice as it has the least restrictive flow for "quick connects"
The regular crimp type where you simply slide the fitting in to the PEX reduces the flow from 1" to 3/4", effectively reducing some of the BTU output.
How much of an impact? No clue! But any impact is bad for me. You decide!
Good luck!

OK .. OWB is on the pad .. trench is dug and Pex is on it's way. What advice is there on the fittings? Looks like I will need only 8 .. two at OWB, four at the transition from insulated pex to in house runs and then connections to the exchanger. My understanding is that there are a few diff fittings ... the crimp type that I need to rent a special tool for or Shark (?) that are more expensive but no tool needed. What is the boards advice ??

Ask your dealer to use the tool for free.....You spent alot of money for the stove he can let you use the tool......CRIMPS is what I use....less then $.45.....................................

Those sharkbites worry anyone else? They just look TOO easy to me...I've only used them a couple times at my house on some quick plumbing stuff...just scares me how easy it is to just pop it in there :)

lots of great info .. so some more questions ... I keep hearing that fittings depend on the type of pex ... for the inside run I am assuming that wherever I but the pex from will know the fittings that work with it ... but the underground stuff ... how do I find out .. trial and error? My best guess is I need 8 fitting.. two to connect lines on OWB, four for connecting outside run to inside (hopefully cheaper pex) and then two more to connect to HX. that sound right or am I missing something? Anyone with pics of the run from the connectio from outside pex to HX?

Also the water to water exchanger ... any tips there?

thanks,
steve

Don't forget about bypass valves, and also a way to drain the system.

Here's the scoop, (according to questions I have asked of the pro's!)
You need a full flow fitting to maximize your BTU's gained.
A full flow fitting would be a wirsbo expander type fitting. It is an expensive tool but I'm sure a plumber could hook you up.
If you can't find that, a sharkbite or equivalent should suffice as it has the least restrictive flow for "quick connects"
The regular crimp type where you simply slide the fitting in to the PEX reduces the flow from 1" to 3/4", effectively reducing some of the BTU output.
How much of an impact? No clue! But any impact is bad for me. You decide!
Good luck!

I aggree. nothing but wirsbo (uponor) Pex plus A and expansion fittings in my system. I also went 1.25" since that what the calculator said to use for my 300ft round trip length of pipe.

I just got my shop "heater" hooked up and running last night, with the secondary circ, etc. No leaks with the Sharky fittings at all, purged the loop with domestic water at full pressure too.

I hope in the near future to have pics on here of the shop heater I built....converted Goodman gas furnace, Heil hydrocoil.

It would seem that metal crimp style fittings would be my last choice. Metal diameter gets smaller with cold weather. Pex expands with heat or freezing cold. Different coefficients of linear expansion. While thousands are in use w/ no ill effects I'd choose the Sharkbites if push came to shove. Of course if the crimps are made with plastic its a moot point..

:popcorn:

My Zurn pex 1 inch isn't really 1 inch. Its an inch and an eighth o.d. and less that an inch i.d. Is this the standard for 1 inch pex and do the one inch sharkbites and one inch crimp clamps fit these dimensions. Sorry, but this pex thing is all new to me. Thanks

Latest posts

Back