Philosphy and a Dolmar 114 vs. 112

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Isn't the Arboristsite interesting!! I think someone else noted that the subject matter has shifted just a touch in the last several weeks. It's really nice to see us talking a little more about the old mag saws. I suppose it just could be me imagining things, or maybe it's just the time of year when some of the new saw guys step away from the computer and go run 'em.

I have several Dolmars on hand, one a Dolmar 112, and the other a 114. Now, Mike Acres site lists the 114 as being introduced in 1977 and the 112 being introduced in 1986. Of course, this makes no sense at all to me, since they have exactly the same bore/stroke and apparently the same piston. For all practical purposes, the 112 appears to be an evolution of the 114, and yet the 114 gets the higher number designation? Go figure. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'd like to fix one of these saws up, can one of you Dolmar folks let me know which is the better choice? The 114 is in very nice shape, but 112 is pretty decent also.

Isn't the Arboristsite interesting!! I think someone else noted that the subject matter has shifted just a touch in the last several weeks. It's really nice to see us talking a little more about the old mag saws. I suppose it just could be me imagining things, or maybe it's just the time of year when some of the new saw guys step away from the computer and go run 'em.

I have several Dolmars on hand, one a Dolmar 112, and the other a 114. Now, Mike Acres site lists the 114 as being introduced in 1977 and the 112 being introduced in 1986. Of course, this makes no sense at all to me, since they have exactly the same bore/stroke and apparently the same piston. For all practical purposes, the 112 appears to be an evolution of the 114, and yet the 114 gets the higher number designation? Go figure. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'd like to fix one of these saws up, can one of you Dolmar folks let me know which is the better choice? The 114 is in very nice shape, but 112 is pretty decent also.

They are both good saws to fix up, the 114 is a little older but there is not enough differences to make any difference there. I prefer the 112`s myself and have done several of them up. So choose one to do up and I will buy the other one, if you want to part with it.
Pioneerguy600

I sold both the 112 and 114 in the late 70's and early 80's.
I believe the only difference was the 114 had electronic ignition and the 112 had points. And the 112 was all orange and the 114 was orange and black. I remember the sales person for Sachs Dolmar saying there has a 1/2 horsepower increase with the electronic ignition. The same goe's for the 117 and 119.
I ran a 114 for years cutting my own firewood and loved it.

Lee

I agree to that Jerry.
I had a 114 that the electronic went and
installed one of those mega fire modules.
It actually came from Dolmar as a replacement.

Lee

I agree to that Jerry.
I had a 114 that the electronic went and
installed one of those mega fire modules.
It actually came from Dolmar as a replacement.

Lee

I have only used the OEM ign modules used in the 113 and 116 as I had some on hand, I think the numbers were 114143500, they were left over stock from when our dealer closed up shop, I grabbed all the OEM stock parts for all the Sachs Dolmars we were running at that time. I have heard that those aftermarket modules do work fairly well on most saws.
Pioneerguy600

When the ignition goes bad on the 112 and 114 get a stand alone unit off a 120SIand later saws. This will give you everything in the coil and very easy swap. I put a 120si coil on a 114 a guy thought was junk. Was he ever happy as to how easy it started and ran after that.
Bob
PS check with some of the dolmar sponsors here. They can give you a price which I want to think was under 70 the time I did it.

When the ignition goes bad on the 112 and 114 get a stand alone unit off a 120SIand later saws. This will give you everything in the coil and very easy swap. I put a 120si coil on a 114 a guy thought was junk. Was he ever happy as to how easy it started and ran after that.
Bob
PS check with some of the dolmar sponsors here. They can give you a price which I want to think was under 70 the time I did it.

Nice info, Do you need to swap the flywheel as well.

Lee

Just need to swap the coil and attach the kill wire. You don't need to remove any thing under the flywheel either. Just bolt on and go.
Bob

Amazing... the information here is great, but Dolmar's reasoning is no more clear to me. The 114, which had an electronic ignition, was upgraded (somehow) into the 112, which had both points and electronic depending on the vintage. Maybe some things are not worth pondering too much.

Jerry, I'll keep you posted on the project. I'll try not to cannibalize one to get the other running. I think the 114 gets my nod. There does not appear to me as many around. The question is whether the cylinder will clean up. The fellow in Greece appears to have a piston for it.

OMG Mike Acres was wrong!!!!

Both the 112 and the 114 came out at the same time with the 117 and 119 they were all one big happy family of saws the 112 and 114 were the same cept for ignition and hoods (air cleaners), Later in 86 the 112 was rereleased with electronic ingition and a 2 piece hood. The 117 and 119 also were the same cept for ignition and hood color. The 119 was soon replaced with the 120 and evolved through the years to become the PS6800. The 113 and 116 had been mentioned they were released in 1984 but only stayed in the line a few years. come 1987 the 112/114 were replaced by the 111 and 115...... so on and so fourth.......

As far as one being more rare than the other that depended on buying habits back in 1980. We sold 16" 112's for $275 and 16" 114's for $299.

Scott

Last edited:
Amazing... the information here is great, but Dolmar's reasoning is no more clear to me. The 114, which had an electronic ignition, was upgraded (somehow) into the 112, which had both points and electronic depending on the vintage. Maybe some things are not worth pondering too much.

Jerry, I'll keep you posted on the project. I'll try not to cannibalize one to get the other running. I think the 114 gets my nod. There does not appear to me as many around. The question is whether the cylinder will clean up. The fellow in Greece appears to have a piston for it.

I have good success with the fellow from Greece, good quality pistons but its best to check the clearances on each saw before just stuffing the piston in and hoping for the best. I just completed doing up 6 of the 115`s and they found new homes so quickly that I was lucky to keep just one for myself. Still a good following out there for the older Dolmars. All my family runs them also, outfitted by yours truly. :cheers:
Pioneerguy600

Both the 112 and the 114 came out at the same time with the 117 and 119 they were all one big happy family of saws the 112 and 114 were the same cept for ignition and hoods (air cleaners), Later in 86 the 112 was rereleased with electronic ingition and a 2 piece hood. The 117 and 119 also were the same cept for ignition and hood color. The 119 was soon replaced with the 120 and evolved through the years to become the PS6800. The 113 and 116 had been mentioned they were released in 1984 but only stayed in the line a few years. come 1987 the 112/114 were replaced by the 111 and 115...... so on and so fourth.......

As far as one being more rare than the other that depended on buying habits back in 1980. We sold 16" 112's for $275 and 16" 114's for $299.

Scott

I like to thank you for all that info, I have owned and run Sachs Dolmar saws since 1985 and never knew for sure when each model came out, our dealer packed it in when Makita took over Dolmar, no local dealers here now.
Pioneerguy600

Yes, sir! That was a nice bit of work there!

I have gotten all good stuff from the fellow in Greece, although lately I see that quality may be model-specific. He's got a lot of rings for some oddball saws also.

Jerry, what's your source for seals for the 115? I have one of those also!

Back