Pic of my buddys wood pile today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
someone on here pm'd me wanting to see some pics of the woodpile so I took one with my phone while I was pushing cut logs back with a front loader today, we cut them with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGMbBctBUk

here is the small pile of cut logs, around 30-40 cords, I'll take a camera with me tomorrow and see what I can get for pics, the split wood pile in the backround is about 25-26' tall on a 40x100' slab with 6' barrier walls, you figure out the cordage but I am willing to bet just a tad under 80 cords right now

Would you mind posting more pice of your conveyor system. I am looking to get bigger conveyor. How do you find the wood dries in piles that big ??

hows he split i?
Piece of cake, considering how short some of the logs are. I think he needs to design a better gauge that will allow the machine to cut all the logs the same length. He was having trouble doing this in the video.

However, I am so impressed with how well this setup works, it's really hard to criticize it. The best part probably is that the big buzz saw generates half the sawdust mass that a chainsaw would. When you process 100 cords or so, that adds up to a big truckload or more of usable firewood.

No doubt. That's a whale of a big chop saw. :dizzy:

here is another of the mill

got log legnth? another row is added every 2 weeks!

Would you mind posting more pice of your conveyor system. I am looking to get bigger conveyor. How do you find the wood dries in piles that big ??

sure will, the wood dries pretty good, obviously the center will be a tad wetter then the outside but I try and move it around with the loader atleast once a week

does he sell by the tractor trailer load?
from a wheelbarrow to semis, all are welcome

Piece of cake, considering how short some of the logs are. I think he needs to design a better gauge that will allow the machine to cut all the logs the same length. He was having trouble doing this in the video.

well yes and no, the blade is about 16" from the log clamp so he cant cut a 16" long round and have 4" left therefore he has to cut 4" off then release the 16" round, there is a log measuring system but it is inaccurate at best, besides people like some variation in their wood legnth.
However, I am so impressed with how well this setup works, it's really hard to criticize it. The best part probably is that the big buzz saw generates half the sawdust mass that a chainsaw would. When you process 100 cords or so, that adds up to a big truckload or more of usable firewood.

No doubt. That's a whale of a big chop saw. :dizzy:

for every cord of logs we cut it makes ½ cubic yard of sawdust or actually a tad more then a chainsaw but if you don't hit anything the tips can go 100+ cords before a sharpening:clap:

Mt Firewood said, "...for every cord of logs we cut it makes ½ cubic yard of sawdust or actually a tad more then a chainsaw but if you don't hit anything the tips can go 100+ cords before a sharpening..."
--------------------
Hard to believe that a big, sharp, circular saw blade generates more sawdust than a chainsaw. However, I learn things every day and I trust your judgment on this one because I am sure you have compared closely. I also recognize that circular saw thickness goes up with diameter, and this is a huge chop saw.

Hitting "nothing" with a buzz saw is a wash against a chain saw. Both get wiped out by an embedded spike, or any sizable chunk of steel, iron, or rock, and the process is down. I also agree wholeheartedly that a circular saw blade will outlast a chainsaw blade by an enormous margine. Just count the teeth on that monster. :agree2:

The only other shortcoming I see is that huge logs over 20" dia. that I often have to process would not work here because they either could not be fed or sawed in half by the buzz saw--probably the former. Too much weight and mass is involved.

But shucks, men, this is a beautiful setup and I really admire what a talented team of engineers and craftsmen has accomplished here. My thumb is up to these buckeyes! :clap:

Back