pic or advice on Water to water exchanger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone with Pics or advice on installing a w to w HX? Mine is comming Friday and the rainy weekend forcast means this is the job for this weekend? Looking for thoughts on by passing HX in summer when OWB is not working but oil is still supplying hot water? Y strainer .. unions .. anything in the way of installing this!!

How small are the passages in the exchanger. If you are expecting trash the Y strainer is a good idea but complicates things. Unions or flanges make things a lot easier for repairs or service. If you are making up your own package I would be careful about mixing galvanized and copper components to avoid galvanic corrosion.

How small are the passages in the exchanger. If you are expecting trash the Y strainer is a good idea but complicates things. Unions or flanges make things a lot easier for repairs or service. If you are making up your own package I would be careful about mixing galvanized and copper components to avoid galvanic corrosion.

x2 and I would emphisize the unions, darned expensive in copper, until you need to remove the heat exchanger, you will then forget the price, same with by-passes. I dont have a way to take and post pics at this time but when you add unions and by passes to both the domestic and circulating waters your water heater area will be cluttered with valves and piping and you will have some cash involved. I can take plate exchanger or tube out "on the run" by switching by-pass valves and unscrewing unions.

Damn I am feeling real stupid now ... ok .. pex lines come in from OWB and to my HX ... I do plan on bypass, valves and unions .. but should this all be copper? Not galvanized? sporry .. not a plubmer!

also .. on the OWB it'self the fitting to hook up the pump and lines .. are they galvanize, black or do do I have to find 2" copper adapters!!

sorry for being un-educated!

Why not continue with the PEX? you can use Sharkbite if youdon't want to crimp, but I would use a Y-strainer anytime an HX is used...period.

definitely putting in the y strainer .. a few ball valves and unions also ...just thought I could use galvanized pipe and not have to go to copper and soldering

it depends a lot on your local water. Mine is quite acidic and a high mineral content and galvanized seems to eat away quick. Hot water tanks only last me 4 or 5 years before they are holed. It is possible that things would last better if I changed the anode rod. Someone who is servicing in your local area might be better advice.

Back