Pic posting walk through for those having trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Have a friend having problems getting pics to show up in his posts, and since most of the instructional posts I've found have old information that no longer applies or works, I thought I'd put up a new one for newbies or even old vets that might be struggling with it.

I'm using Windows 7, and Internet Explorer 8, different versions or other browsers will be just a little different.

This is mainly to upload your pics directly to AS and have them show up in your post. You can do the same with pics posted at a remote site, like photobucket or similar sites, but sometimes those cause lost pics if one is deleted later, aggravating if searching through old posts. I normally do it this way, it works and the pics stay with the post forever.

First, you need small enough pics to post here, 300kb or smaller. If you don't have a way to do this, I use a pic resizer that's a clone of the older resizer powertoy that was in Windows XP, real simple to use. Download it here if you need it: Download Image Resizer Powertoy Clone 2.1.1 Free - A clone of the Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP - Softpedia

To use it, first open your folder with the pics you want to upload, then just right click on the picture(s) you want to resize. You can do more than one at a time by selecting multiple pics by holding down CTRL and clicking on more pics.

attachment.php

A pop-up will come up and let you choose your size:

attachment.php

Next, when you're typing your post, to add pictures click on manage attachments down below the text box a ways. You'll get a pop up window like this:

attachment.php

I like to make use of the new wide screens by shrinking the main window down and putting the attachment window along side it like this, it makes later steps much easier:

attachment.php

Now you're ready to start uploading your resized pics. Click on the browse button, find the picture you want, select it and click "open":

214169d1325236156-tutorial-5-jpg

To be continued!

Last edited:
After you've clicked open, the address of the pic on your computer will be in the box on the upload screen. Click the upload button, wait patiently, sometimes VERY patiently if the servers are slow, and after a second or minute, or so, your picture's shiny new link will appear in green. It's now attached to your post, and ready to put in your post!

attachment.php

Repeat the last two steps up to 5 pictures per post. If you have more pics than that, just hit reply and put them in the next post.

Type your text, before you want to add a picture, hit enter a time or two to put space between the text and the picture for easier reading and viewing. Now is where the "split screen" comes in handy. Go over to the upload box, right click on the picture you want to insert and copy the shortcut, then with the cursor where you want the picture, click on the insert image button on top:

attachment.php

Now click on the "From URL" tab, paste in the link, uncheck the box marked "reference remote blah blah blah" - if you don't do this, it won't work right. Then click OK

attachment.php

You should now have a HTML code in your text that looks like this with (IMG)link.dbghh.(/IMG) but with square brackets around the imgs:

attachment.php

When you hit submit, you should get a picture of a deer in my yard behind the wood piles! (Kidding, your pic should show up!)

attachment.php

Good luck, and if this helps, I'm glad I took the time.

Last edited:
Im just trying to get profile pic under my name....feelin kinda stupid

Ok...So I'm an AS veteran...posted hundreds...maybe thousands of pics...well...you get the idea.

The icon's on my reply to thread are lightly shaded. The "insert image" icon is invisible although I can still click on it. When I unclick the "retrive remote file box" the "ok button disappears. To add to my humiliation the url window says it doesn't recognize my file.

WTH?

Any help?

WCA

Keep trying slacker, you're getting there. The important part is getting them attached. From there, it's just "pretty work" to show em in the post.

I used to make it work before the site changed. Now I cant seem to get them to show up. One more try and then you will just have to click my links.

220835d1327974613-lumber-jpg

Holy crap, Firefox is way different. I got stuck with an error message until I unchecked a Retrieve image box and then still had to go back in and edit to be able to right click the link to paste to the add image line.

Last edited:
Back