pic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you carve out or scrollsaw the recesses? I saw an article a while back in FWW on marquetry, and would love to do some inlay work like that sometime. I don't have the time to start now, but someday!

I use a small base dremel tool router for most of it and clean up the pointed areas with a sharp razor blade type knife.I set them 1/16" in the fretboard.Mark

Do you ever make any acoustic instruments?? Love to see pics if you have. Ive got to get busy here...

I just finished up all the many jigs required for building acoustic guitars.and will be doing some soon.I'm using ash for the bodies with sitka spruce tops.I have to let the ash dry a little more first though.i have alot of black walnut milled also and will use it as well for binding the ash bodies.I'm using mahogany for the first neck with brasilian rosewood for the fretboard.I'll be putting a vine inlay on this one.Mark

Awesome craftsmanship beautiful inlay work that must have took a LOOONG time and alot of patience! I like the wood you used for the V! I built a solidbody from scratch about 7 yrs ago slightly larger PRS style body with a Ibanez neck which is all I had to copy at the time now I wished I had a fatcarve like PRS or a les paul still haven't played it much my fretwork was and still is rough!! I cracked the head stock hammering in my frets and had to mill off the ebony veneer on the headstock and put carbon fiber rods in and put the ebony back on which took some wind out of my sails on doing another one anytime soon. Must say though it was some very enjoyable work and I learned alot!! One day I would like to do a SG body and neck with some trap inlays. Lots of hand work and I don't think most guitar players understand or appreciate what goes into a custom but some do! Great job irishcountry

Funny you mensioned the sg with trapizoid inlays as i did build one, an it turned out great.It's burried with the many guitars i have in my vault.I have a curly maple 2" thick one piece body on that one,with maple neck.It has a Jackson style headstock on it and looks nicer that way.If i can dig it out soon i'll post a pic of it for ya.Mark

Beautiful work you got there. I really like the maple bodies.

I gotta ask, how did you get the saw and mill so clean after using it?

I always blow the mill and saw off with a compressor as soon as i finish each day and sharpen the chain as well that night,so it's ready to go the next time. Mark

Latest posts

Back