pick one saw for one year of firewood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One saw-all season for firewood. Choose wisely.

• 85cc+ I'm a production guy--don't need no sissy saw.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • 65-80cc, I can tote a big one--or mo' power! grunt grunt!

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • 50-60cc, Nothing fancy, just makin' chips. what's all the fuss?

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • 50-90cc-ported, can't be simple about anything.

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • 50-90cc-race rig, love the smell of nitro in the morning (but hate banging my hat on the pipe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wild Thang-yeah, I said it.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Blue Homelite, Antique Iron rules!

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
Out of the saws I own and my stuff is all older.It would be a toss up between my 038 mag and my J-Red 670.But I usually take 3 saws with me when I go to get a pickup load of wood.

well for me I cut for myself most of the wood I usually get is 10" and under Oak. this year I got a deal on some MONSTER oak (mostly 16" and up)and got 20 loggers cord I cut 10 cords up with my muff modded 026 it worked good enough for me but I can surely see the need for a larger CC saw now. the 12-10" and under wood seems that my 026 or 50cc is just fine. now to find a larger cc saw for the next 10 cord. Before I got CAD i used a j-red 2045 that worked too but the cutting difference between that and the 026 wa noticeable.

I'll take whatever saw comes with a magic spell that prevents it from ever getting flooded, breaking a starter cord, losing the oiler, getting pinched, dulling the chain with 1/2 hour of daylight left, or any of the other hundred things that could happen if I were out cutting wood. You really need two saws.

Beyond that, I'd like a (working) crystal ball so I could know if in the next year I'm going to be scrounging little stuff here and there (in which case all I'd need is my 346xp), if I'm going to get more big stuff but nothing larger than 20" (in which case I'd keep the MS361), or if a friend is going to ask me to take away a 36" oak that just fell (which would mean the MS660 stays out, too bad about the weight).

Having to pick blind, I'd say 60cc would do me fine for 90% of the wood I encounter but I'd hedge up to 70cc just in case. I'd rather deal with a little extra weight than have to leave a big trunk because I couldn't pull enough bar to get through it. I guess if I had to pick one saw to keep and have the rest of mine locked away I'd make it the 372xp.

Good thing this is purely hypothetical.

Jack

I voted 50-90cc ported saws because I have a 5100 and a 7900EHP.
If only one I would pick my 7900 EHP, it can handle anything I have around here. For firewood my 5100 would do the job 90% of the time, but lightning or a big wind will take out a big oak and the 7900 makes that quick work.

I'd take the Univent with an assortment of bars, unless a lot of cutting would be done in below zero temps, then it would be a 372XPG or CH2171WH. When it's warm you just turn the heat off.

Good thing this is just "theoretical though! Only one saw? yeah, sure!

:clap:

I would keep the 2165, fast with a 20" bar and will handle 24" bar no problem, can cut any tree around here with a 24" bar (bore the notch on the real biggies)

Firewood for me has been 6"-10" hardwoods, so I don't use much saw. My favorite is my super EZ, with the 254XP for the bigger stuff.

Of course it depends on the size of the wood we are working with here, but I just cut a lot of wood last night with a ported 361 - 25" bar and very little gas.

The ported 441- 25" bar is nice and fast, but if the wood is smaller than 10" it isn't much faster, as to be worth carrying it.

The 361 is about the nicest firewood saw made, I think.

Sam

Ms 460

24" bar 36" bar is all i would want for a 460. i only use a 32" bar and chain now. a 36" bar is nice to have on the shelf. i used a 36" bar on my 460 this summer the bar just barely made it threw the tree,the 460 pull it just fine.

:cheers:

if i had to choose just one saw i would take my 272xp I've had it since new in 1997 it's been reliable as a anvil 20" and 30" bars :greenchainsaw:

MS361 with 16"/20" bars would be my choice.

If there was a lighter or similar weight head with more power, I'd give that saw a look.

Back