Picked up a new MS170 today.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I needed a little limbing saw. I've had my heart set on a new MS211, or a Husqvarna 240.....

I just couldn't decide and I had to make a decision. So I just went with Stihl's cheapest priced saw. I got it for $148.77 out the door, I got a sweet deal. It's got a 14" bar, the rollomatic mini. It doesn't have a TON of balls, but it'll do just what I want it to do.

It's nice and light. I ran it into a 10" ash log, it was dogging a bit, so I threw it into some limbs of the ash tree and it flies through small branches. It'll save a ton of time and energy, limbing with a Dolmar 7900 with a 24" bar is a back aching PITA!!!!

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

i want one, but they dont sell em in england, also the cheapest priced one over here is £200 ($300) and only has one bar nut, i want one badly, if only someone would ship one... (hint hint)

$148?

I've seen beat up one's go for more than that on fleabay. That's a deal......

RD

i want one, but they dont sell em in england, also the cheapest priced one over here is £200 ($300) and only has one bar nut, i want one badly, if only someone would ship one... (hint hint)

The 180 is a slightly better spec saw, and is sold here. Local outlet had them for 165.I got a used one for 50 quid. Hardly used. Just keep your eyes open. Its a handy saw for what it is.

The clutch seems a little "slippy" though.....

Could it be that it's new?? My 7900 didn't feel that way at all what so ever when it was new....

Maybe it's just me, I dunno....

I'd rather buy a cheap Poulan than the MS170 - sad but true, it is an extremely underpowered saw.......

I needed a little limbing saw. I've had my heart set on a new MS211, or a Husqvarna 240.....

I just couldn't decide and I had to make a decision. So I just went with Stihl's cheapest priced saw. I got it for $148.77 out the door, I got a sweet deal. It's got a 14" bar, the rollomatic mini. It doesn't have a TON of balls, but it'll do just what I want it to do. .....

:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

Being that cheap seldom is a good idea.........

Last edited:
I used my step dad's MS170 and i thought it was a fun little saw. Not the most power by any means but manageable and easy to use. I would still buy a Husky instead but that's my preference.

Last edited:

Lewis, they do or did sell em here, but it has now been replaced with the ms171 which is a better saw than the 170.
Classic Lawns are doing the 171 with 14" b/c for £165
Don't pay full retail price at your local dealer, they will drop the price if you push a little.

The 180 is a slightly better spec saw, and is sold here. Local outlet had them for 165.I got a used one for 50 quid. Hardly used. Just keep your eyes open. Its a handy saw for what it is.

where did you get your used one from?
ive noticed the new one is little different the 171 but it costs more and i like the old one, its lighter

I bought mine on sale for $161 and love it for walking and clearing trails. I carry an 11 ounce MSR spare fuel bottle in my back pocket. I got it pinched and stuck in a small box elder once and cut it out with my pocket knife. The 170 will run a little better with the muffler opened up a bit.

It's a good little saw. Grandpa has 2, one at home and one at the farm. He does most of his cutting with them. They run smooth and use very little fuel. I just need to learn Grandpa's secret to filing chains, his are the fastest and smoothest I've ever ran. I guess 70 years as a toolmaker makes you a samurai with a file.

where did you get your used one from?
ive noticed the new one is little different the 171 but it costs more and i like the old one, its lighter

Ebay. Buy it now in the week. You`ll pay far more with bidding wars that finish at the w/e. Just takes a bit of patience. You`re looking for people putting inherited gear or house clearances up for sale. Dont know the value, just want rid.

The clutch seems a little "slippy" though.....

Could it be that it's new?? My 7900 didn't feel that way at all what so ever when it was new....

Maybe it's just me, I dunno....

After using it for a while I took'er apart and found that the front sprocket at the tip of the bar was extremely tight. It was rather unusual - It made me think there was something wrong with the bearings.

I shot a wee bit of thrust into the sprocket and spun it the best I could. I ran it for about an hour or so then took the bar off again, now the sprocket spins freely and the saw revs right up with no delay. I think she was just new with nothing broken in yet.

Once it wakes up more I'd like to mod the muffler.......

After using it for a while I took'er apart and found that the front sprocket at the tip of the bar was extremely tight. It was rather unusual - It made me think there was something wrong with the bearings.

I shot a wee bit of thrust into the sprocket and spun it the best I could. I ran it for about an hour or so then took the bar off again, now the sprocket spins freely and the saw revs right up with no delay. I think she was just new with nothing broken in yet.

Once it wakes up more I'd like to mod the muffler.......

I had a similar thing happen with my 260 when I was using the new bar. Sprocket was very tight. I took it off and made sure it was clean. Lubed it and ran it. No problems anymore.

I'd rather buy a cheap Poulan than the MS170 - sad but true, it is an extremely underpowered saw.......

Troll....really?? Man I can't say I would take any current production Poulan over the 170. Mine came off CL & I put a GB carving bar on it. I have zero complaints. It would make a perfect camp/atv/trail saw & if I find a good deal on another one, I wouldn't hesitate.

RD

Troll....really?? Man I can't say I would take any current production Poulan over the 170. Mine came off CL & I put a GB carving bar on it. I have zero complaints. It would make a perfect camp/atv/trail saw & if I find a good deal on another one, I wouldn't hesitate.

RD

I agree, my dad bought one a year ago and we like it a lot, light weight, high revs, used it to cut cherry and 6x6 timbers. Very happy with the performance. Bigger stuff, use a bigger saw.

Back