Picked up a timber wolf today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrapp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I picked up an Echo cs-590 today. Got a decent deal. Bought the saw and got an extra loop of chain for free. They tuned the saw before I left. I'll put it in some wood on Sunday. Does anyone have any suggestions for break in? Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 211
That's a nice looking saw. I like Echo's. As far as breaking it in, the opinions are all over the place. From super technical to run it like you stole it. I would recommend following the owners manual, if they even mention breaking in. Otherwise just run it.

That's a nice looking saw. I like Echo's. As far as breaking it in, the opinions are all over the place. From super technical to run it like you stole it. I would recommend following the owners manual, if they even mention breaking in. Otherwise just run it.
They tuned it a little before I left and also asked me to bring it back after a few tanks just to make sure it stays tuned.

I followed some advice from here, to set the H a little rich the first two tanks, enuf to have it 4 stroke a little in the cut. After this I cleaned up the H (clockwise) just enuf to get it to stop 4 stroking in the wood. I also like to run it a little rich cuz I'm not racing through cuts.

I know the manufacturer probably recommends 50:1 but I run 32:, remove the limiter caps and tune accordingly.

Yeah, we run 40:1, but it puts me right up against the limiter caps. For EPA reasons they've done everything to limit tuning options. On real cold days I have to go to 50:1 cuz I can't adjust H rich enuf for 40:1. Also took out the spark arrestors but that didn't need much, if anything. We'll trim those limiters after warranty.

Yeah, we run 40:1, but it puts me right up against the limiter caps. For EPA reasons they've done everything to limit tuning options. On real cold days I have to go to 50:1 cuz I can't adjust H rich enuf for 40:1. Also took out the spark arrestors but that didn't need much, if anything. We'll trim those limiters after warranty.

FWIW, I had an Echo 360t that had a lot of problems. I (actually Hedgerow) noticed the dealer removed the limiter caps himself when I got it back after replacing the p/c under warranty. Some dealers are by the book,,,some understand the real world of 2-stroke engines.

To answer your question...run it like you stole it a little on the rich side for a few tanks; this seems to be the general consensus on here.

Looks nice, and I hear they are well built. General break in advice is to not go peddle to the metal w/o a load, but go peddle to the metal with a load to give it proper break in. I run 50:1 synthetic with no problems. I think the new synthetic oil is so good that if you don't go 50:1 it may take longer to break in.

Good Luck and enjoy it.

Just use the saw as you normally would. Synthetic oil doesn't effect break in and it's not slicker than conventional oil, it simply more stable and burns cleaner.

I'm quite happy with my 590, it's well built and has good low end. The carb on the 590 has a bypass that for the most part prevents it from being tuned excessively lean. So don't worry too much about the tuning, it will be fine.

Happy cutting.

I had a half Timber Wolf half German Shepherd once. Guess that doesnt count even though both it and a saw have teeth and it could.chew through would very fast.

Thanks for all the replies. I have 5 fresh gallons of ethanol free 91 octane. With everything I use mix gas for that will last about 2 months.

I will report back. I kinda wish I still had my 029 super to do a side by side comparison. But it sold faster than I expected. From just holding it the echo feels well balanced. I am expecting it to cut very well.

I ran the saw in some read oak today and was pretty impressed. It is breaking in well. Was getting stronger the more the day went. I was really shocked that I cut for a while and still had fuel in the tank. I'm also surprised at how easy it was to clean up after.

Latest posts

Back