Picking up my new MS460 today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetoreality

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to drill out the stock muffler port, and eventually get the dual port cover. My question is what size drill bit should I be using to open the stock port up, I don't want to go too big.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been repeated.

CONGRATS!! of course we will need pix you know? the exhaust port in the muffler should be right around 85% of the exhaust port in the cylinder i do believe.

i'm soooo jealous!

A drills not going to work for you. You need to remove the spark arrestor screen and then take a carbide burr and open up the port to the deflector edges. Then replace the screen. You really don't even need the dual port cover if you do this. It wouldn't hurt though either. Make sure you remove the muffler before you do any grinding.

ok and ill play around with the carb screws to fatten her back up a bit.

thanks for the heads up about the drill bits, i thought maybe a cobalt bit would get through it but ill pick up a burr.

hey man, i just noticed your sig. are you tellin me you're gonna have 2 460's? that's messed up! you know there are guys in the world that don't even have 1!!!!

YET! :rock:

well i wanted to avoid them knowing i messed with it. i have a extra stock muffler incase #### goes south.

ill probably give it a few tanks for the rings to seat until i open up that port and adjust the carb. i know they come a little fat from the factory for break-in.

Last edited:
Long term, the best option use to learn to tune by ear. It's best to start with a tach though when learning. BTW, not all saws need the H needle richened up. The L needle always does, automatically richening up WOT fuel. That's why I say it has to be tuned. You just have to give the saw what it needs.

ill just fatten the screws out and adjust from there. so ill basically get her four stroking at WOT then lean her out untill i hear it stop four stroking.

:clap: Congrads on the new saw!!!

hey man, i just noticed your sig. are you tellin me you're gonna have 2 460's? that's messed up! you know there are guys in the world that don't even have 1!!!!

YET! :rock:

Looks like you might want to start a 046 project!!! Just remember to bring the wife when you go to order parts at the dealer!!!!

Last edited:
saw seems to be running a little fat...all the dealers must do is tune them real quick without a load...they dont have a log to test it out on so im going to tune it tommorow when its light out.

hey if shes 4 stroking under a load is it ok to WOT off load for a few seconds to tune her in? i know your not suppose to hold it pinned when its new off load but must be ok to do it in spurts to tune it?

i did a simple muff mod on my 460 ,theres a little slice in front of the exhaust hole ,i just took my bar wrench and bent it open ,ended up with a nice port and the stock screen uneffected ,i have the dual port front cover also ,i dont know if can see it in this pic but this worked pretty good for me View attachment 215416View attachment 215417

Latest posts

Back