Pickup load of firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one thing to keep in mind when loading a truck is if you exceed the weight limit and you get in a wreck the other party's lawyer will have a field day in court with you.

never had a problem with e tires but i dont use the truck loaded like that everyday. how do u like ur silverado steve? i have an 04 duramax short bed too which is a pita u have to become a strap master.

Keep in mind I came from a long line of Dodges...the last several being Cummins-powered, the last one sitting at right about 475HP/850TQ with a 6spd manual and 4.10s. The Silverado is a 6.0L, 6spd auto, with 3.73s...BIG difference in pulling power, but it was expected. The Silverado tows exactly how I expected...it does pretty good for what it is. Mileage is ok, netting around 15-16mpg on the highway...which is a wash, diesel gets a little better, but fuel costs more.

We needed a four door, the reason we got a new truck (the old one was sitting at 275k miles, and I had just finally gotten all the bugs worked out). I stepped away from Dodge because of their front suspension issues, I stepped away from the Cummins because of the electronic controls (mainly injectors) making them unreliable and fuel hogs. Figured I would try something different, and I liked the styling of the Silverado. Buying a used diesel is almost scary anymore: a guy can buy a programer, run the living snot out of a new truck, then trade it; and you get stuck with the problems down the road. That's the reason we went to a gasser.

My only complaint with this Silverado is that it has the newer frame (tubular), and because it is so stiff; you get what is called "frame beaming"...you get an out-of-balance tire feeling at highway speeds.

Keep in mind I came from a long line of Dodges...the last several being Cummins-powered, the last one sitting at right about 475HP/850TQ with a 6spd manual and 4.10s. The Silverado is a 6.0L, 6spd auto, with 3.73s...BIG difference in pulling power, but it was expected. The Silverado tows exactly how I expected...it does pretty good for what it is. Mileage is ok, netting around 15-16mpg on the highway...which is a wash, diesel gets a little better, but fuel costs more.

We needed a four door, the reason we got a new truck (the old one was sitting at 275k miles, and I had just finally gotten all the bugs worked out). I stepped away from Dodge because of their front suspension issues, I stepped away from the Cummins because of the electronic controls (mainly injectors) making them unreliable and fuel hogs. Figured I would try something different, and I liked the styling of the Silverado. Buying a used diesel is almost scary anymore: a guy can buy a programer, run the living snot out of a new truck, then trade it; and you get stuck with the problems down the road. That's the reason we went to a gasser.

My only complaint with this Silverado is that it has the newer frame (tubular), and because it is so stiff; you get what is called "frame beaming"...you get an out-of-balance tire feeling at highway speeds.

I could not live with that!

I could not live with that!

A lot of it has to do with tire balance...most shops only balance truck tires down to a half once and call it good. These trucks are so sensitive, that the tire shop has to a) have well maintained and calibrated equipment, and b) understand you need balancing down to zero. I had my tires balance right after buying the truck...three of the four were almost two ounces off each, and that was with less than 3k miles on the clock. The GM trick to diagnose frame beaming is to load 350#s of weight at the tailgate and see if the issue goes away...they have a procedure for "fixing" it using a Hunter Road Force machine.

After balancing (with the shop knowing the previously mention parameters, except I did not have them use a Hunter), the frame beaming is still there; but it is hard to notice over the naturally stiff ride of the truck itself (if you haven't heard, Pennsylvania roads SUCK!). I'm guessing if I buy a high quality tire (like a Michelin), and have them balanced well; the beaming will probably all but go away.

If the bed is stacked neatly to level with the bed rails there is only 1/3 cord in a full size 8 ft bed. However I have put 1/2 a cord on my short bed Toyota SR5. I would not haul that much down the road but in a full size you could safely stack 1/2 cord on there. In order to get a full cord you need either a flat bed or extended side boards. Not to mention that a full cord of fully seasoned hardwood will weigh 2 tons.

Latest posts

Back