pickup truck to dump truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber338

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anybody done a pickup to dump convertion on there trucks? I know that they have those dump inserts but i much rather go all the way and have a flat bed dump. Ive seen them and it just seems like alot of space is lost. Ive looked for flat bed dump kits but have not had any luck with that.

I have done it before but the big thing is that the frame aint the same. You need to reinforce it alot. Truck builders have kits you can buy to do it but it aint cheap. Other issue is the title of the truck changes. After you do the work you need to have the DMV inspect it and reissue a title.

any particular reason you aren't considering a dump trailer? You can get much greater capacity volume wise from a typcal tag along dump trailer than you can from converting a p/u over to a dump bed. I regularly pull a 8 yard (7 ton) behind my 1/2 ton p/u to haul mulch or brush. Granted a trailer this size full of soil or gravel will sure enough be heavy, but for average use you can handle quite a bit of volume before weight becomes too much of an issue.

My first truck to use a chipper with was a 1978 3/4 4x4 chevy . I put duals on the back and adaptors on the front so I had ton wheels all the way around. I also had a small custom dump bed put on it It did ok but was never enough truck to haul what I needed it to. I knew I had to upgrade but put it off as everyone does .We hauled firewood on it also and some very heavy loads at that. I met my guys at a job one morning and deciding I would back the truck and chipper in as it was very tight and I didnt need anything messed up. I noticed when I hit the brakes that the truck rocked back and forth from the left front to right rear. I looked to see what was wrong and the spring hanger which supports alot of weight had ripped lose and these guys didnt even know it. One finaly said hey so and so dropped off the shoulder of the road yesterday on that side and felt funny after that :confused:. Things happen but usualy if you are using equipment like I did this is what happens and it can be a very bad thing. I understand trying to save money and do what you can but I would just buy a truck already designed for what you want to do or a dump trailer. Trying to save money can cost you huge, I see it all the time. Good luck.

I converted mine without to much trouble.

We sold it only because it was 2 wheel drive. But we did convert the regular bed into a dump. The problem we ran into was couldn't put the rear bumper back in the same place. Had to mount the rear bumper to the bed and then couldn't use a hitch so we ended up leaving the rear bumper off.
Use it that way for couple years and never had to change the title but that is hear in southern Indiana.

I think we got our kit from Northern Hydraulics.
Did have to do some welding and drilling.

Now we use a dump trailer. Holds more but still not enough.

There are enough 1 tons around that converting anything smaller just isn't worth the cost.

I purchased a 83K mile 2000 F550 4x4 PSD with a 9' plow and an 11' dump back when Diesel was $5.00 a gallon and they were desperate to unload diesels...
Best decision I have made in a long time...I paid $15,000 and it came with all new brakes and rotors, new windshield, carrier bearings, U-joints, and it had a 2 yard sander too...

What it has taught me is that spending the coin for a truck that will do the job without issue is always a good idea. This 550 carries 2 cords easily, and legally. A tonner in NH can't carry 1 cord of green hardwood legally.
I would advise anyone who's looking to buy a ton dump to look into a 450 or better yet, 550 sized truck...

Problem with f-550 truck is can't pull most trailers without CDL

Where to draw the line on the size can be different for everyone.
For me I have a CDL license anyways because I need it for my 7500 bucket truck. But most do not have a CDL license
One should consider if they are going to every pull a trailer and how much this will add to the CGVW (Combined gross vehicle weight). If this goes over 26,000 lbs you will need a CDL license.
This can be more of a problem than actually being over weight.
DOT around here is constantly stoping commercial trucks. If it has a name on it or hauling anything for money it is a commercial truck.

Yes, as Ellis said above that can be a problem. I have a class B cdl. But with my bucket truck which weighs 29,990 loaded I can't pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs without a class A CDL. Which is a pain too. Maybe someday I'll get my class A. Till then trailers have to be under 10,000 lbs.... Mike

Do you know what size trailer can be pulled behind a F-450

I have a F-250 and can pull up to a 16,000 trailer without CDL which my guys drive. But have wanted to upgrade to a 350 or 450.
Because like you mentioned, trucks never seem to be strong enough. Though I don't seem to over weight my GMC 7500.

I have a F-250 and can pull up to a 16,000 trailer without CDL which my guys drive. But have wanted to upgrade to a 350 or 450.
Because like you mentioned, trucks never seem to be strong enough. Though I don't seem to over weight my GMC 7500.

Combine gvw of truck and trailer but they may still fine you. If trucks GVW is 10K and trailer is 16k = 26000 which is one pound under CDL. You also still have to be road certified for trucks under CDL and over 10 k GVW I believe I have my A so no worry there.

I just sold this truck and got my the old 79 because the EPA is ruining diesel trucks.

I know all that, just don't know the GVW of a 450 and a 350

Just though someone here might have or know the GVW of a F350 or F450 so as to add to the GVW of my trailers.:monkey:

Back