pickup truck to dump truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any particular reason you aren't considering a dump trailer? You can get much greater capacity volume wise from a typcal tag along dump trailer than you can from converting a p/u over to a dump bed. I regularly pull a 8 yard (7 ton) behind my 1/2 ton p/u to haul mulch or brush. Granted a trailer this size full of soil or gravel will sure enough be heavy, but for average use you can handle quite a bit of volume before weight becomes too much of an issue.

7 Tons with a 1/2 ton p/u......????? 14,000lbs is definately CDL territory, not to mention...I dont know too many 1/2 tons I would even trust with that kinda load.....I have a 3/4 superduty & its only rated to LEGALLY tow 8800lbs. be careful thats a big fine you are asking for there!!!

LXT.............

Last edited:
7 Tons with a 1/2 ton p/u......????? 14,000lbs is definately CDL territory, not to mention...I dont know too many 1/2 tons I would even trust with that kinda load.....I have a 3/4 superduty & its only rated to LEGALLY tow 8800lbs. be careful thats a big fine you are asking for there!!!

LXT.............
You might want to check your numbers
My F-250 superduty is rated to tow 19,900 total that is with the weight of the truck which weighs about 7500

LXT.............

I was at over 40000 in this all the way to Maine and back and yes it was cdl territory with permits and the whole nine. Factory ratings do not mean squat in legality terms. Anything with a combined weight over 26001 lbs is cdl turf.

Consider insurance as well. I'm not sure how it works in your particular state, but here, commercial insurance is required for dump trucks over a certain GVRW. My C30 requires commercial. Don't under-register either. The fines can be costly.

You got that right I am tagged at 44k in the mack the highest for dual tandems but I know I have ran over loaded at times. My truck alone weighs in at 29500 though so about 7 tons is my payload wood and brush is variable with weight so it is very posible I have been at 10 or better trying to get done with a job. I if I keep the truck need to put a tag axle under here then there would be know way in wood I could be overloaded and not spilling out the top. I wonder what w 32" oak about 100 foot tall weighs I can usually get the whole tree on one load.

You sure on the F-250 towing?? I thought any tow behind weighing more than 10,001 lbs you needed class A? I might be wrong though.

LXT...........

You sure on the F-250 towing?? I thought any tow behind weighing more than 10,001 lbs you needed class A? I might be wrong though.

LXT...........

Yes, I'm am absolutley sure you do not need a CDL license for a F-250 and pulling a trailer.
You only need a CDL if the GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating) is more than 26,000lb.
F-250 GVRW is 9800 lb for the truck + the trailer GVRW.
So the trailer could be up to 16,200 lbs before needing a CDL A. Though a F-250 combined GVWR per owners manual is 19,900 lbs. If your pulling a trailer that heavy with a F-250 you will grossly over weight and the CDL won't be the concern.
You only need a CDL B if not pulling a trailer but the truck GVRW is over 26,000.
CDL license is for getting over 26,000. The Class A CDL is for a combined unit like pulling a trailer but still over 26,000 lb.
The 10,000 lb rule your probably thinking of is needing a DOT number if pulling a trailer and the combined GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. This is one of the most common reasons DOT pulls guys over. Example 1/2 ton pick up pulling a landscape trailer is over the 10,000 lb limit requireing a DOT number. The dead give away to the DOT is if the trailer has tandem axless. Tandem axles trailers almost always are over 3500 lbs and with any pickup that would be over the 10,000 lb.
And if you have DOT numbers you are required to have a current physical on board and fire extinquisher and triangles and a name on the side. The exception to this is if you have a CDL A license but then if you to maintain a CDL license you have to keep on file with DOT a physical so this is not much of an exception..

Sorry if this was to much information.
Feel free to PM me if I have confused you.

Im pretty sure that towing 10,001 & above require class A, at this point it is a combination vehicle.

Gvw is only the weight of the vehicle & its payload combined together, I would have to read the owners manual to see what the suggested tow rating of an F-250 is.......Im pretty sure its 8800 lbs depending on model, hell towing a 4500lbs genie lift around i know its there!!!

I`ll have to check the FMCSR!!

LXT................

combined GVW can not excede 26k , my c-30 has a 10k gvw and my trailer has a 10k gvw they combine the total registered gvw and if you are over you are :censored:

as far as the dump kit i have an 02' chevy 2500hd that i built a dump kit for it. i retained the bumper and my hitch, i just built a custom drop hitch to accomadate the bumper roll. i lift 1 cord of wood or 4yards of chips no sweat with it. i only moved the bed back 1/2 " to allow for the dump swing. ill take some pics today and post them. i have had it in the truck since 03' and am very happy with it id never put an insert in because you lose space plus alot more weight always on your truck

You better check and please edit so as not to steer wrong.

Im pretty sure that towing 10,001 & above require class A, at this point it is a combination vehicle.

Gvw is only the weight of the vehicle & its payload combined together, I would have to read the owners manual to see what the suggested tow rating of an F-250 is.......Im pretty sure its 8800 lbs depending on model, hell towing a 4500lbs genie lift around i know its there!!!

I`ll have to check the FMCSR!!

LXT................

I beg you please check the FMCSR book before steering people wrong. Cause I am absolutely sure you do not need a CDL A or B even if it is a combination vehicle as long as the total combined weight rating is not over 26,000 lbs. CDL license is only required for vehicles over 26,000 lbs. There is a CDL A and a CDL B. The B is for just trucks over 25,000 lbs and the A is for a combination over 26,000 lbs.
Also if you read past threads we've been though this about every other week and some body has to say it.
The mis information referring to the 10,000 lb rule -
Guys get stop pulling a trailer and gets a ticket but not for not having a CDL but for not having DOT numbers on the truck, Not having a physical in the truck, not having a name on the truck, not having fire extinquisher on the truck, and not having triangles or flares.

I beg you please check the FMCSR book before steering people wrong. Cause I am absolutely sure you do not need a CDL A or B even if it is a combination vehicle as long as the total combined weight rating is not over 26,000 lbs. CDL license is only required for vehicles over 26,000 lbs. There is a CDL A and a CDL B. The B is for just trucks over 25,000 lbs and the A is for a combination over 26,000 lbs.
Also if you read past threads we've been though this about every other week and some body has to say it.
The mis information referring to the 10,000 lb rule -
Guys get stop pulling a trailer and gets a ticket but not for not having a CDL but for not having DOT numbers on the truck, Not having a physical in the truck, not having a name on the truck, not having fire extinquisher on the truck, and not having triangles or flares.

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

Where did you copy that infor at?

I hadn't read it that way but if so
I stand corrected on the Class B just for trucks but for trucks over 26,000 lb and trailers under 10,000 lb
Basiclly they are not counting the trailer as a combination if it is under 10,000 lb. But I'm sure they do add it's weight rating.
Still do not need a CDL license just cause pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs.

I hadn't read it that way but if so
I stand corrected on the Class B just for trucks but for trucks over 26,000 lb and trailers under 10,000 lb
Basiclly they are not counting the trailer as a combination if it is under 10,000 lb. But I'm sure they do add it's weight rating.
Still do not need a CDL license just cause pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs.

Here

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

and also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_driver's_license

:cheers:

I drove an 84 f250 for years pulling goose neck trailers with it. It has a 6.9 that has been turned up some.
I rolled across the scales at 29,700 lbs one time. It was not the heaviest load ever just the heaviest I weighed.
My dad took a 12 foot flat dump from an old f600 and cut it down and put on it. He also converted it to duals it looks just like a one ton except it still has the twin I beam front suspension.
With 4+ tons of gravel the motor does not even begin to work hard, but it is about all the tires want.
I had an 06 f250 4X4 with a gvw rating of 10,000. I don't remember what the towing capacity was. I remember back in the day a 10,000 gvw one ton was a big deal.

Back