Picky pot belly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
And I don't mean the stove!

Delivered a load of quaky (aspen) today. The instructions were, cut short, like 12 inch. And Split small. I thought this was silly, but I did it.

I dropped the load, and the customer was dis-satisfied with the size!!!
Okay, a few made it into the 14" range. There might even be a few getting close to 16" (oops). Anyway, while he was writing the check (he accepted the load anyway, I asked if the pot belly I was admiring was the stove for the wood.

Yes.

My reply was that they were designed to burn sticks vertical, and everything out there will fit nicely.

The Reply: He prefers to load it the other way.

Okay, fella's what you make of this one.....

Can you see making 9" sticks for this guy??? :crazy1:

-Pat

That sure turns into a lot of extra time for this customer.

Save your chunks and ends for this guy. maybe even rake up around the splitter and gather the chips. If it's worth money to him, as long as what you are doing is repeatable for more than one customer. If not charge him for the extra time involved.

Charge him anyway, it is a special request.

I havent gotten that one yet but have sold some boxes full of the chunks for ppl that wanted to burn it in a chiminea

The one time I was in a position to sell (I cut and split exclusively for our own home use) I was going to hook a guy up with 2 cords for a little extra cash. He requested the pieces be cut to 12" lengths. Well, he near about fell off the face of the planet. By the time I got hold of him, he had decided not to buy the wood.

So there I was, left holding the bag with a big pile of stubs and a lot of wasted effort and biomass in the form of wood chips from needless extra sawing.:angry:

Sucks WB,

Any "special" orders like that I would require a deposit. I'd tell the customer that the deposit is for that very situation and that the wood is worth-less too any of your other people. Custom size require deposits (Non-refundable).:cheers:

I have a customer like that, always wants them cut short. Problem is, it's my wife. Some customers you don't argue with.

My wife doesn't have the hand strength I do and also prefers smaller pieces.

I usually comply but make sure that (on average, 3x/week) I bring in some bigger chunks. It's become a little ritual that we never verbally acknowledge but go along with. She'll complain about big pieces. Then I'll make some comment about handling the big wood and we let things go from there.;):cheers: :givebeer:

Wood keeps us warm more ways than one.:)

I had a customer last year like that, wanted the wood cut short, but real thick chunky pieces. Afer the second load delivered to him that werent thick enough for him, I told him that he would have to order and pay a deposit for one cord.
He got pretty idignant at that point. I tried to explian that wood cut that way would be worthless for anyone else, but he just couldnt understand my point. He would also call and expect delivery within hours.
Finally one Sunday evening he called for wood, it was almost 7 pm and I had taken the family out to eat. I told him that he would have to wait until Monday, and I woud see what I could do. He cussed me out and hung up.
On Monday he called back,tried to apoligize, I cussed HIM out and hung up.
I dont need to borrow any more headaches, got enough without customers like that.

Not that I agree with tearing into a customer, but no doubt he more appreciated his next supplier, when he finally found one.

I swear , they think we keep an unlimited supply of seasoned wood , just for them. I may sell around a stack if they tell me early that they want so much reserved till a certain date. Before Febuary is over I want to be out of all but mine.

I usually comply but make sure that (on average, 3x/week) I bring in some bigger chunks. It's become a little ritual that we never verbally acknowledge but go along with. She'll complain about big pieces. Then I'll make some comment about handling the big wood and we let things go from there.;):cheers: :givebeer:

I feel your pain. I have to resplit some this fall before moving it into the barn so the boss can handle them. I am not looking forward to it.:mad:

LOL.....good, subtle joke there.

Back