Craps-poulan tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okie; I swore off crapsman about 1973. I am not a poulan fan. I didn't buy any of the 3 I have. But they have all started and run, so each serves some purpose. I inherited 2, and a neighbor gave me the crapsman.

Now, back to the topic: This morning I finally got back to this thing. The port into the muffler is maybe 1" by ~1/2" so plenty there. The muffler had 2 tiny louvers facing the engine for exhaust. I took a screwdriver and opened these up 2 1/2 of 3 times what they were. Adjusting the carb didn't seem to improve anything, but I turned up the main until RPM slowed, then turned it back a bit until the full throttle RPM came back up.

The chain as 2 safety (depth gauge) links for every cutter link. I never encountered one of those "safety" chains before, but not surprising, knowing how sears operated. I ground down those safety links and filed the cutters. I made one cut in a 8" log here, and it cut like a hot knife through butter. I plan to go out this afternoon to see if it cuts the logs as well.

I wanted to get a good chain, but won't make it to the saw shop for a while. So If it cuts ok, I may not bother with a real chain. Heading south for the winter pretty soon anyway.
I went out and made 12-15 cuts through 8" to 16" logs. The saw now cuts like a similar size good brand saw, even with the modified "safety" chain. I will get a good chain for it sometime. but for now it is reasonably decent working saw.

Thanks to all who contributed. Awesome bunch of folk here!

Back