Pics are too big

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How do I take pictures that don't exceed the 300kb that the site allows? I tried to post about 10 different pics and all say the same thing, too big!

b6u8hg.jpg
like this tom trees

Tommy, that works, but you're killing the poor fellas like wdchuck that are still on dial up.

If you use windows xp, search for power toys image resizer. It will make an option to resize pics appear when you right click on the picture. That way you can take them all at high resolution, and just resize them to post online. There is a similar working patch for windows 7 that i use, but I don't have the name of it handy, post back if you need it.

Otherwise there are lots of programs available to resize pictures, I just don't have experience with them.

Once again, the dialup guys will thank you if you resize them to the "small" or 640x480 setting, it will keep them down to about 100K or less, and for most pics that's plenty of detail for an internet picture.

If ya need more help, just holler and I'll do what I can.

Tommy, that works, but you're killing the poor fellas like wdchuck that are still on dial up.

If you use windows xp, search for power toys image resizer. It will make an option to resize pics appear when you right click on the picture. That way you can take them all at high resolution, and just resize them to post online. There is a similar working patch for windows 7 that i use, but I don't have the name of it handy, post back if you need it.

Otherwise there are lots of programs available to resize pictures, I just don't have experience with them.

Once again, the dialup guys will thank you if you resize them to the "small" or 640x480 setting, it will keep them down to about 100K or less, and for most pics that's plenty of detail for an internet picture.

If ya need more help, just holler and I'll do what I can.

That's what I have to do to upload to photobucket.

A third party site, like photobucket also has resizing tools.

Once you get the hang of it, it goes fast.

That's what I have to do to upload to photobucket.

A third party site, like photobucket also has resizing tools.

Once you get the hang of it, it goes fast.

Photobucket has a setting under (IIRC) the upload box to choose the size of the pic after uploading. Set it to 640/480 and the picture resizes as you upload.

Harry K

camera setup

you can set your camera to take pictures that are best sized for the net.

this allows you to skip photo bucket and load directly to a forum.

even with cable or dsl pictures that are too big are a PITA to look at anyway.
the administrator IMO should set the site up to prohibit pictures that are to large.

I use a program called Irfanview. It's free and you can get a plug in for it that allows you to specify how many KB you want the picture to be. You resize to the physical size you want, and then when you save, it automatically adjusts the quality to meet the file size you specify. I usually set mine for 100KB. Not too horrible to load and still has enough detail to be useful.

Ian

Last edited:
I am a fan of imageshack (free) it gives you the opportunity to resize your images during upload for emails, message forums and even making your pic a avatar! I am sure there is more stuff, but I am out of it right now.

Also lets you decide to link directly to imbed picture in thread or add as a thumbnail.

Lots of options out there, you just have to find the one that works best for you.

this allows you to skip photo bucket and load directly to a forum.

even with cable or dsl pictures that are too big are a PITA to look at anyway.
the administrator IMO should set the site up to prohibit pictures that are to large.

They did, pics used to be 1MB.

wdchuck,

what I should have said is that some folk load pictures that are so large that looking at them is not possible without a very large monitor. I just skip over to the next post.

There's plenty of software available to re-size. It's another step, re-set your camera for email pictures and the work is done. Just my opinion.

Later,

Tom

this allows you to skip photo bucket and load directly to a forum..

Then you lose resolution, too. Better to take the best picture you can, then resize a COPY for uploading. Save the originials in their best possible resolution.

Xnview works well. So does Irfanview.

wdchuck,

what I should have said is that some folk load pictures that are so large that looking at them is not possible without a very large monitor. I just skip over to the next post.

There's plenty of software available to re-size. It's another step, re-set your camera for email pictures and the work is done. Just my opinion.

Later,

Tom

My fault, I was thinking file size versus physical size(width). :)

I use microsoft paint. Right click on your photo file, Select Open With, Then Select Paint. Then on the menu bar select image, Then select resize/skew and make the picture any size you want.

to all of you who gave me helpful info, thank-you, Tom trees, your large picture with caption "like this" was no help at all. Were you trying to help me? If you were I don't get it.

Back