Pics of a big kiawe tree (mesquite)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
This kiawe tree has been sitting next to the parking lot where I work for about 15 years. It's a luxury hotel on the Kohala coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. I cut a few pieces to make some tables with my modded Echo CS670. Anyone who has cut mesquite knows how hard it can be, especially this big and dry. I was trying a skip tooth chain for the first time and was very happy with the performance of the saw. It has made me decide to sell a couple more tables and get a new Stihl 660 (power is addictive). Milling this is quite hard, too. Has anyone seen mesquite grow this big in the mainland? I would also like to thank everybody for all the info on this site. I've learned a lot in the last few months.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That's a really cool tree dude. What's that device sitting on it though???

:jester: :cheers:

Wait till you try to split that sucker...

Are you making fun of my saw?:hmm3grin2orange: The mod really woke it up and I like it. I'm not too concerned with what it can and cannot outcut. It does the job for me. Most of that will be cut into slabs to make tables. But, believe it or not, it splits fairly easily. Just make sure no one is within 50' of you.

OLY-JIM

OLY-JIM

ArboristSite Guru
Great pics man! What bar are you running on the 670...did you get it from Dean? Be sure to post some pics of the tables when you get them knocked-out. Looks like nice weather again in Hawaii...imagine that! Never been to the Big Island, but I've lived for a few months on Oahu in the Kaneohe Bay area.

:cheers:

pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Great pics man! What bar are you running on the 670...did you get it from Dean? Be sure to post some pics of the tables when you get them knocked-out. Looks like nice weather again in Hawaii...imagine that! Never been to the Big Island, but I've lived for a few months on Oahu in the Kaneohe Bay area.

:cheers:

Thanks Jim! I'm running the 24" bar that came with the saw, I just polished it up. It makes it look faster. I lived on Oahu since '82 and moved to the Big Island a little over three years ago to take my present job. I love it over here. Here's the view I have of Mauna Kea from in front of my house. It's been getting down in the 50's here so I've been cranking up our woodburning stove.
attachment.php

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Okay fellow board members...having seen that picture of his view, how 'bout a nice big rousing "You Suck!!!!!" from the membership? Thanks... :hmm3grin2orange:

OLY-JIM

OLY-JIM

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks Jim! I'm running the 24" bar that came with the saw, I just polished it up. It makes it look faster. I lived on Oahu since '82 and moved to the Big Island a little over three years ago to take my present job. I love it over here. Here's the view I have of Mauna Kea from in front of my house. It's been getting down in the 50's here so I've been cranking up our woodburning stove.
attachment.php

Nice view! However, there's no shortage of them there. Nice views are all over the place in Hawaii...very scenic place. I use to love the views from the Pali Cliffs. Yeah, you're right...that shiny bar makes it look like your 670 has a pair of sneakers on. It's actually a very well built saw and feels good in the hands. Lololol...50 degrees...wood burning stove Lololol...that's shorts and tank top weather around here...really! Be sure to post some pics of your tables when you get them done and "Stay warm Buddy"! :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great stuff!

A guy down the street from me has someone dump logs like that in his front yard. I've seen him out there with an electric saw. He just, from what I can see, cleans out the crevices right down to sanding and finishing it. His front yard is littered with these sculptures. He manages to accomplish turning the trunks into art by slightly altering there natural shape. He would love to get his hands on that piece, I would imagine. One day I must try to stop and talk to him, (he seems a little weird) and take some pics. Thanks for the pics, pastry guy.

AZLOGGER

AZLOGGER

ArboristSite Guru
Some where between the desert & the trees! AZ
pastryguyhawaii
We have some pretty good size mesquite trees growing here in Arizona, mainly along creek bottoms, this is some of the dirtiest and hardest wood to cut I've run across. Most of the mesquite wood here is used for lump charcoal or cooking on outdoor grills (gives the meat a great flavor).
I noticed on one of your pictures an old X cut into the tree, are you sure there isn't a buried treasure under that tree?
Just curious

pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Okay fellow board members...having seen that picture of his view, how 'bout a nice big rousing "You Suck!!!!!" from the membership? Thanks... :hmm3grin2orange:

No problem, Woodie. I don't know if you noticed but I was born and raised in Michigan. I thought I recognized a fellow dufus.:hmm3grin2orange: I see you make furniture. I just started making one of a kind tables last year and can sell them as fast as I can make them. What do you do and what kind of woods do you use? I would take a little curly maple if you ever head this way.

pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
pastryguyhawaii
We have some pretty good size mesquite trees growing here in Arizona, mainly along creek bottoms, this is some of the dirtiest and hardest wood to cut I've run across. Most of the mesquite wood here is used for lump charcoal or cooking on outdoor grills (gives the meat a great flavor).
I noticed on one of your pictures an old X cut into the tree, are you sure there isn't a buried treasure under that tree?
Just curious

Hmmmmm.... I didn't notice that. That tree was moved there from another part of the property. Maybe Captain Cook left us something.

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice

Are you making fun of my saw?:hmm3grin2orange: The mod really woke it up and I like it. I'm not too concerned with what it can and cannot outcut. It does the job for me. Most of that will be cut into slabs to make tables. But, believe it or not, it splits fairly easily. Just make sure no one is within 50' of you.

Actually I forgot to mention that those were some GREAT pics and I'm jealous I can't find a nice hickory like that around here... Super nice tree and saw dude... I"ve always wanted to try an Echo out and see what they'll do. There's like no dealers within 100 miles of me though, and I REFUSE to buy from online stores... I'll be the one keeping ma and pop in business even if it means I pay double...

:cheers: eh?

pastryguyhawaii

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Actually I forgot to mention that those were some GREAT pics and I'm jealous I can't find a nice hickory like that around here... Super nice tree and saw dude... I"ve always wanted to try an Echo out and see what they'll do. There's like no dealers within 100 miles of me though, and I REFUSE to buy from online stores... I'll be the one keeping ma and pop in business even if it means I pay double...

Thanks Cisco! I agree with Oly-Jim on Echo saws. They're well built and reliable but will not keep up with a comparable Stihl. There's an Echo dealer in town where I live so it was the service I wanted. It's a good saw and after Dean modded it I can't imagine anyone not being impressed with it. We now have a Stihl dealer so that's why I want a 660. You should fly out here with your 7900 so I can try that out, too.:chainsawguy:

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Omg

Thanks Cisco! I agree with Oly-Jim on Echo saws. They're well built and reliable but will not keep up with a comparable Stihl. There's an Echo dealer in town where I live so it was the service I wanted. It's a good saw and after Dean modded it I can't imagine anyone not being impressed with it. We now have a Stihl dealer so that's why I want a 660. You should fly out here with your 7900 so I can try that out, too.:chainsawguy:

I'm there dude. I'll bring my 7900/510/5100 and anything else I've got just to get there for a few days, hehehehehehehehe...

Tell you what, I'll help you cut during the day, you let me hang in your pad for a nice long trip... That'd work eh??? hehehehehehehe

bobster1

bobster1

ArboristSite Member
Nice! Represent! Glad you got to post those pics on the forum. Those are some monster Kiawe! :D
I will try to post some pics from this side of the island...

Latest posts