Pictures of bore cutting, lots O pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is a level "C" feller for the National Forest Service and works on forest fires. Safety is a huge concern for them and he prefers bore cutting most of the trees he drops. The day we did this the wind was blowing 20-30mph. These are hybrid poplars I planted in 1991 in my yard. The roots are surfacing and it is making a mess so today they came down.

Face cut

atrtsi.jpg

In line with the birch tree is a white speck. This is a wedge on the ground he was aiming for.

2wgahcx.jpg

The bore cut is in and the first wedge is set.

2lcxt84.jpg

Keith in action

swzakx.jpg

2zyl6y9.jpg

Obligatory chainsaw pics.

2agujjb.jpg

You can put more pictures in the same thread. Just can't be the same post.

I lost track of how many wedges were used. Why on earth would you jam one in what passed for a face cut?

'Cuz he's a C-feller? And therefore more qualified than mere mortals? And he was taught that way by other C fellers who were taught that way by other C fellers who figured that the more you monkey around with a tree the better you are? And who make up for a lack of skill by aggravating the poor damn tree until it just gives up and goes horizontal? And he's never been exposed to the way real C fallers do things?

I know some C fallers. They don't cut like that. They cut more like loggers.

I guess it's that East/West thing again. If he ditzed around with all those slice and dice cuts on a fire out here he'd probably get sent back to camp to help roll hose or something.

But maybe I'm being over critical. Hey, he did get the trees to fall over. After much gnawing, slicing, boring, and double wedging. Or maybe the trees just gave up and surrendered.

2lcxt84.jpg

Is there a name for these "side cuts" used to square up the sides like that?

I think I've seen them used in non-bore cut photos/videos before (though the one I can remember right now was definitely a GOL guy).

Are they ever used outside of the GOL universe?

Why did he have to bore them?

If I had the time (which I don't), I'd teach a class on practical falling techniques for everyday situations (which I won't, but I could make a killing at $150 a pop for half a day). It just pains me to see this kind of bs going on in my state and I know its going on every day here, loggers included.

'Cuz he's a C-feller? And therefore more qualified than mere mortals? And he was taught that way by other C fellers who were taught that way by other C fellers who figured that the more you monkey around with a tree the better you are? And who make up for a lack of skill by aggravating the poor damn tree until it just gives up and goes horizontal?

Probably the funniest quote on this whole website. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back