pin oak split crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing the two limbs would increase the risk from rest of the tree due to imbalance. Removing the whole tree would be wildly extreme. cabling and bracing done right would lessen the risk to an acceptable level for that site. Hey reb, why not?

Sorry I missed you in Little Rock Dixie; hope you had a good time. I did.

i did have fun. that was a huge event. i had know idea it would be that big. i did take a picture of the leaves this morning to show that it is indeed a pin oak. the leaves have just begun to leaf out and are only about 1 1/2" long. but thanks for all of the advice. i will let you know what we decide to do.

From the first picture it just strikes me as having very little holding wood toward the bottom, like the branch could twist even if cabled well. That might hold it up off the parking lot, though. Right or wrong, I would probably just prune it off. Sorry I missed you guys in Little Rock. I'm sure It was a great opportunity to meet real arborists face to face.

Sorry missed you two in Little Rock also but was getting married
was too too busy!!!! Looked like pin oak to me, and not
what everyone calls pin oak around here,which is actually water oak or willow oak !!!

Last edited:
Sorry missed you two in Little Rock also but was getting married
was too too busy!!!! Looked like pin oak to me, and not
what everyone calls pin oak around here,which is actually water oak or willow oak !!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me, ropensaddle. I grew up in north Louisiana, and that tree would not be called a pin oak there. I looked up willow oak, and those leaves look more like what we call a pin oak.

Back