Pine tree tufts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all:
I have a pine tree that is at least 4 ft. cir. at base and about 45 ft. tall. For the last two winters, it has been losing the ends of its branches (about 4-6 inches). The needles are green and not showing signs of disease or infestation. The ends on the ground are becoming numerous this winter and I'm wondering if the tree is under some form of stress or is dying. Can anyone shed light on this issue for me? It appears that the ends are just snapping off, not being chewed.
Thanks.

Without a picture, what comes to mind is red squirrels. They're notorious for snipping off the tips of evergreens, especially spruce.

Pine tree question

I'll take a few pictures and upload them on Friday. Thanks for responding.

Pine tree

Well I tried but I keep getting server is busy messages. So, I'll leave some background info instead. When you see the pictures it will make sense, hopefully. We moved into our current home about 4 years ago in the summer. Not until mid-winter did we realized that we really had 1/2 a tree in our front yard. The neighbor's maple is on the right. Anyway, we thought about taking it out but since it appeared healthy I hated to do it. Last year a tree trimmer must have seen us looking at it one day while talking with my neighbor because the next day he left his card and a price of $600 to take it out. Will try to post pictures again. THX.

Are you sure your neighbor isn't snipping off branches a little at a time to make more room for his maple? :hmm3grin2orange:

It looks like the damage is only on one side of the tree, correct? Maybe they jump from the maple into the pine. They should be going for the cones in the pine for the seeds, but I found this quote from http://www.squirrels.org/facts.html :

"Squirrels chew on tree branches to sharpen and clean their teeth. That's why you may see many small branches on the ground around large trees."

The neighbors maple also looks to be healthier on the same side...I wouldn't think that squirrels would cause that also and it seems too coincidental. Perhaps some of the ISA certified guys on here can shed some light on this??

I would be concerned that all of the lean is toward the house. $600.00 is a fair price for this removal if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
Pine tree

Yes, it's obviously leaning some and I guess it should be removed. The previous owners lived in the house for 30 years and I suppose it never bothered them over the years that over 1/2 of the tree was not growing properly due to the maple. I've removed much more of the branch ends this year than what is indicated in the picture. We do have a lot of squirrels in the area - perhaps the population is increasing and therefore that explains the increase in branch damage year over year. Thanks.

over 1/2 of the tree was not growing properly due to the maple.

I think that's your underlying cause, with the squirrels as a secondary cause. As far as removal, I woudn't necessarily say it will fall over in a storm, but removal may be a better choice for cosmetics and property value. With the maple right there, that side will not fill out.

Perhaps some of the ISA certified guys on here can shed some light on this??

Like me? CA # SO-5138A ;)

winter winds?

The ends on the ground are becoming numerous this winter and I'm wondering if the tree is under some form of stress or is dying. Can anyone shed light on this issue for me? It appears that the ends are just snapping off, not being chewed.

Perhaps, some of these limbs are falling during storms? It appears from your pictures that the maple limbs could bash into the pine limbs on windy days.

As I said before, in the first photo it appears that many other trees are healthier and leaning the same way. I don't think squirrels would cause this. I would say either a prevailing wind or excessive shade on the one side would be a more likely reason. Where are the ISA guys to diagnose this when we need them?

I edited a previous post because I don't want to place any fear that this tree will come down in the next storm. It will, however, come down one day and the house will be under it. This would be a good tree to remove at this time...it is not too big and is a fairly simple job. Twenty years from now (if it's not on the house by then) this will be a BIG tree and a much more expensive removal.

excessive shade on the one side would be a more likely reason.
yup

From counting the whorls, I'm guessing that this is about a 30 year old pine. The maple seems a bit older. I would suspect that the maple has been shading the pine its whole life, causing a slight lean and unbalanced growth. From looking at the other trees in the picture (the maple is really the only one that can really focused on), it doesn't appear that
many other trees are healthier and leaning the same way
. I really don't think there is some underlying problem here besides the competiton. Northernmover is correct however, in that the longer you leave it, the bigger it gets, the more weight is up over your house, and the more expensive it will be to remove. Removal now might ease your mind, and make your yard look a little nicer. On the other hand, thinning the heavy side of the pine, reducing some branches, and crown thinning the maple may eventually balance out the pine. Removal is not always best.

Latest posts

Back