Pine trees causing problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it turns out our septic tank in front of the garage is cracked and leaking effluent into the ground. Fortunately our insurance should cover the repair - needs a whole new system installed with the likelihood that the pine tree nearest the garage will probably have to come down to make way for it in the central lawn. Would explain a lot!

Not sure where you are in the country but might want to check out a Presby System, they are real popular in my area as the fields about 1/3 the size and they are very difficult to plug compared to conventional system. They also do a better job at treating the water.

There isn't enough room for a presby system or new leach field, luckily there is a ditch nearby so we'll need a tank that pumps out 97% clean straight to the ditch. There is no proof the extra saturation of the soil is causing the vibrations, though I'd be amazed it wasn't as this is the side of the house most affected (next to the garage).

Trees are of course very heavy, they are like putting a two foot deep slab of concrete in your garden,
it will compress the soil, anything built close to that soil will eventuall move down too, and not in
a nice uniform manner.
The trees will take the damping charachteristics out of the earth surrounding them, vibrations
will not get dampened, though the trees will still dampen sound, certain sounds better than others,
the grounds ability to dampen vibrations will be heavily impacted.

Wet ground will vibrate a lot, stand in a swamp and jump on the ground that is water logged
and the whole area around you will move, that is only with the weight of a person, try putting
a road down and lace it with cars trucks and busses, it will viberate, there are a few car parks in
my area that were built on such ground, they are very un nerving to sit in your car in, as the movement
of cars in the park, or within a half a mile outside the park can be easily felt, especially
lorries on the road, they push a shokwave that gives one the feeling jack daniels was in town the night before.
So the sepric tank is the culprit in your case water logging the area and transmitting the vibs.

Back