Pinon Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cut a cord of the stuff Friday; a lot of burn salvage. Just now gettin' around to splittin' it. Some splits fine. The knotty, twisted grain stuff is a bear to split.

Sure does smell good though!

Anyone else ever deal with Pinon?

From what I can tell, it is the hardest pine I've cut. The place I was cutting, I heard prices from $285-325/cord.

yes, I cut and sell Pinion. I call it "the hardwood of the pines" The stuff is great! Easy to light, puts off great BTU's, leaves little ash and smells good too. Some rounds can be tough to split though. I toss them off to the side and when there's enough of them I rip 'em in half with the saw and try splitting them again. Here in western Nevada it sells for $225-$250 a cord. View attachment 207912 ...it's close to being rated as a hardwwood.

Last edited:
Pinyon Is The "hardwood" of the pines

Here in Nevada we have a lot of pinyon pine. This is the most dense, Highest BTU rating, and longest lasting burn time of all the pine species.
I like burning it mixed with lodgepole pine, as I will quickly overheat the house if I'm not real carefull with a full stove load full of pure pinyon.

Pinion is very tough to split!

It is even tough to mill on the bandmill, somewhere
between the junipers (wrongfully called cedars) and Ut Mt.
Mahogany.

The woodworkers love it.

Nevada pinon is as dense as a lot of hardwoods

I'm another Nevada woodcutter who loves pinon pine. In the dry, tough growing conditions here (goes below freezing over 200 nights per year) pinon grows slowly and forms a fine-grained, high density wood.

I think it burns longer than most hardwood species, even oak, but it depends on the pitch content. If you have some pitchy pinon it'll burn for hours. It lights up easily and you have to dampen down for the first 30 minutes to keep it from over-firing. After the pitchy bark burns off I open up the Jotul Oslo damper wide and let it go. It forms a very light weight ash, a bagfull weighs only a couple pounds. Lots of coals in the morning make re-lighting easy.

No problem splitting it with my Super Splitter (the best machine made). Larger rounds can be tough, but you just split staves off around the perimeter and whittle it down.

Pinon is also the finest smelling wood of them all. Incense is made from it. The only problem is finding it! You have to look hard to find the standing or down deadwood that itsn't rotten. I only cut dead trees, and I carry the rounds to my truck, as far as 300 ft. I use two husquvarna 12-in log tongs, makes the job easy on the hands. Does give the shoulders a killer workout! But it's well worth the effort, and besides, it's fun. A pinion forest of 50 ft tree's at 7500 ft elevation is a thing of beauty.

Latest posts

Back