Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than Corporate America can do most things, anyway... But I digress.

The problem is that the EPA as I understand it is not really government, much like the Federal Reserve; they operate on behalf of them but don't seem to directly answer to them (or anybody, by the looks of it). And since they all want to keep their jobs, they have to keep continually nit-picking and looking for new regulations to put in place to stay busy.

I do agree with you that the old saws I have that are in excellent mechanical condition run more smoothly and are easier to tune than the newer ones, though. But as Jerry said, the key is the condition. Though, my old RA needs rings and is quite low on compression, but still starts and runs fine; just doesn't produce as much power as it should anymore. The old guy I get parts from told me that back in the day when he worked in the bush, those old, slow, large-displacement saws would just keep plodding along even with under 100 PSI compression.
I think we are eventually going to have trouble, even with the old saws, and maybe especially the old saws, when the fuel situation gets worse, with the ethanol. I don't think the saws will like it if they keep raising the ethanol level. Of course when they make new saws they'll probably allow for higher percentages. I realize there are 2 cycle engines in these "mini sprint cars" that run on alcohol but these engines are highly modified and smoke worse than a semi truck!

It wouldn't be the end of the world - all they had in the beginning was good ol' SAE 30 to mix with anyway. There are so many varieties on the market now that it wouldn't take long to come up with an acceptable substitute.

I think we are eventually going to have trouble, even with the old saws, and maybe especially the old saws, when the fuel situation gets worse, with the ethanol. I don't think the saws will like it if they keep raising the ethanol level. Of course when they make new saws they'll probably allow for higher percentages. I realize there are 2 cycle engines in these "mini sprint cars" that run on alcohol but these engines are highly modified and smoke worse than a semi truck!

100LL AvGas contains no ethanol. My saws have run a 50:1 AvGas/Stihl mix for a couple of years. Last AvGas I purchased was $6 a gallon if I remember correctly. There are also racing fuels that contain no ethanol.
Lou
In long past days some of my toys were oiled with castor oil. I think even in the 60s model fuel was more expensive than "40 or 50 Fuel" today. I prefer the scent to that produced by my saws today regardless of what type gasoline is used.

Last edited:
100LL AvGas contains no ethanol. My saws have run a 50:1 AvGas/Stihl mix for a couple of years. Last AvGas I purchased was $6 a gallon if I remember correctly. There are also racing fuels that contain no ethanol.
Lou
In long past days some of my toys were oiled with castor oil. I think even in the 60s model fuel was more expensive than "40 or 50 Fuel" today. I prefer the scent to that produced by my saws today regardless of what type gasoline is used.
Av Gas and racing gas are hard to get in some areas. We do have a drag strip a few miles from me. I might ask them if they have non ethanol fuel.

Av Gas and racing gas are hard to get in some areas. We do have a drag strip a few miles from me. I might ask them if they have non ethanol fuel.

Here we have "Trick" http://www.trickgas.com/distribution.htm (check location) racing fuel. The local outlet shares a pump with Union 76 Fuels. To get a gallon you need to buy 3± to clean out the hose and common lines. Many small airports have AvGas pumps. The one here asks for registration number after you gain access, my registration is "Chainsaw". It has worked so far knock wood.
Lou

A bit of a rainy day here today so I figured its was time to play with some saws. The P52 has been on my mind as I did not as much as wipe it off since getting it. The front handle had some strange sticky stuff on it and I had since purchased a NOS front handle, was about convinced to swap handles until I noticed they were different colours. Hmm, lets try to clean the original, good ole turpentine did the trick nicely and then washed off the whole exterior with dish detergent and hot water.

alaska%202010%20002.jpg

alaska%202010%20003.jpg

Sticky stuff on front handle.

A bit of a rainy day here today so I figured its was time to play with some saws. The P52 has been on my mind as I did not as much as wipe it off since getting it. The front handle had some strange sticky stuff on it and I had since purchased a NOS front handle, was about convinced to swap handles until I noticed they were different colours. Hmm, lets try to clean the original, good ole turpentine did the trick nicely and then washed off the whole exterior with dish detergent and hot water.

Man you do have some really nice original saws!! That is very nice.

alaska%202010%20002.jpg

alaska%202010%20003.jpg

That looks like a nice P52 ya got there. The more and more I see these the more I gotta get one.

Looks good Jerry! Most of the P52's, 655's and some P62's had the gray color handles. The one you cleaned looks good as new.

Looks good Jerry! Most of the P52's, 655's and some P62's had the gray color handles. The one you cleaned looks good as new.

The dark handle was destined for a P60 build but I thought it may look even better on the P 52. The colour difference changed my mind and with a little effort the original handle cleaned up good enough.
Pioneerguy600

P52

Jerry
I thought you were gona leave that one in the box til Christmas.
Thats as close too new as you will find. All of my Orange saws have the grey handles as well. A P52 sold last week online for $200 but they would not ship to Canada. I hope to find one of these to complete the set

Latest posts

Back