Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that was pretty quick for Canada Post, Brendon. Looks better on that saw than in my parts box!

You had me down for two sets of the Boyesen reeds, right?

Yes I do. Im not sure if it works, it was on a case I bought. I can send it, you can try it out.

Sorry Brendon, I just tested it and it don't work. It is still on the case with the crank still in it. I clamped my drill on clutch side and ran wide open for 3-4 minutes. Then I tested another on my 50 the same way and it shot oil quick.

Sorry Brendon, I just tested it and it don't work. It is still on the case with the crank still in it. I clamped my drill on clutch side and ran wide open for 3-4 minutes. Then I tested another on my 50 the same way and it shot oil quick.

I guess it helps if the pick-up tube is actually IN the oil!:dizzy: It works!!! I will send it out in the morning. PM me with your address again.

Boyesen reeds order completed

Guys, good news, the Boyesen reeds are on the way. They should be here in a week or so.

Ed has supplied an oil pump for my P52... it was a short search. Thanks Ed. I should be painting in a week or so if all goes well. Also, decals kits will be available soon for the P42, P52, and P62 models and will include the Western side decals. I'll keep you posted.

Ed, I asked Brad Snelling about modifying a Pioneer cylinder. He said he'd likely widen the exhaust port and then do some widening of the reed cage. It looks to me like any work to the transfer ports would be nearly impossible, as they run up beside the cylinder and are hard to access. I heard that Poulan Pro did some modding in the 80's to the 655 and dominated the racing scene for a good while. It involved changing the reed cage to one out of a Mculloch SP125 and cylinder and exhaust mods as well.
I'm sure there are plenty of modifications a guy could do but lots of experimentation would be needed. I widened out the exhaust port on a P62 jug but haven't had a chance to install it on anthing yet.
If you search in this thread about the P52 Plus I bought awhile back, I listed the mods Pioneer made to improve the P52. If you give it a try, keep us in the loop.

any chance of a photo of the work? I have a P51 that i wouldnt mind having a play around with I have all the gear to do that type of work The P51 i have is my Parts saw But ive kept it whole The crank wobbles behind the clutch? Mite be a bearing? Still runs tho?:help:

As I recall, I removed the web in the transfer ports, too. You can have the cylinder to try if you want it, but I don't have a piston for it. I'll get a pic up soon.
Sounds like you'll need to split the case and change bearings if there's crankshaft slop. The bearings and seals are readily available.

I dug out the cylinder. It turns out it's a Pioneer/Partner jug with a bottom flange. It won't work on your P51 but I'll get a pic up soon as I can.

Last edited:
Pioneer parts needed

Looking for piston rings for a Pioneer P38 saw. also need pull starter guts. I would also like to find a primer bulb for a Holiday 2 saw the # of the saw is a 970 model. Thanks.

Back