Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh man that gotta suck big time, I know how that feels also, I cut the same finger nearly off when I was still in highschool. Cut it with a knife in the boatshop while cleaving off wooden plugs, had it sewed back on and it turned out real good. Yours is much worse physically, when crushed that way it will remain shorter. I think Brad Morgan can share some insight on this type of injury also. Take care of it and hope it heals up quickly for you, for the next several months you will know its still there.
Pioneerguy600

Yep, I've done four out of ten fingers so far. Not bad considering I'd done that by age 25! Here's the right hand I shortened up in the jointer a couple years back:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That was my right hand, and while I'm not completely useless with my left hand, I'm very much right handed. Needless to say I pretty much had to learn to wipe my rear all over again! Seven years ago (holy crap, I can't believe it's been that long...) I got my left ring finger pinched in a stacker outfeed drop chain at the fingerjoint mill I was working at. It pulled the whole tip right off, including the entire fingernail right out of the nailbed. The doc didn't want to sew it back on at first, he said there was only a 50% chance it would survive. I said as long as it's better than zero I wanted to try. It turned out fairly well, but is pretty much numb. I can feel pressure but I couldn't tell you if I was pressing on a tabletop or a thumbtack; still, it's better than nothing. I returned later after it healed to thank the doc in person and show him how it turned out - that seemed to make his day.

Joe, that sucks. I really do feel your pain! If you aren't already using them, see if you can get some dressings for that finger called "Adaptic Digit" like these:

http://esafetyproducts.com/mm5/merc...roduct_Code=31622&Category_Code=Adaptic_Digit

They roll on like a condom. They hurt like a MOTHER:censored: when you force them over the end, but they're SO worth it. They aren't all bulky and in the way, and the pressure of the dressing really helps with the throbbing pain. The nurses at the hospital here said they'd never seen anybody with three tip injuries like I had that was willing to take the pain. They didn't want to keep giving them to me at first, since apparently they're quite expensive and I was going through three a day for three weeks, but I insisted since I pay my taxes and feel entitled to what works best, so they kept giving them to me.

Also, as far as the pain goes, the key with that is anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen. They gave me a prescription for its big brother, Keterolac, and that really did the trick. It's not kind to your stomach though, and you can only take it for a couple weeks at most. I also got a scrip for Dilautid, a very strong morphine-type pill the doc said they normally gave to terminal cancer patients. That stuff was fun but I didn't use it much. Still have a dozen or so for a rainy day.:cheers:

Good luck Joe. Going by my own experiences, I'd say 6 weeks is probably a tad on the optimistic side. It'll look pretty decent by then, but mine weren't completely healed over for a couple months and were incredibly sensitive for many more. The cold really bothers them especially. Did you lose the whole fingernail? As you can see from my pictures, I lost a fair bit of length on my index finger but didn't lose the nail bed. Now it tends to want to grow right around the tip of the finger since there's no flesh underneath to keep it growing straight. It's not bad though, it kinda protects the tip.

You'll get used to the new finger quicker than you might expect, too. I can still type over 70 WPM with four buggered fingers, two of which are significantly numbed. The thing I have the biggest problem with is handling small screws (not a good combo for working on chainsaws!) because my right hand is functionally limited, and I don't have the best co-ordination with my left.

PS - please tell me that this isn't your woodsplitter:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUUPKEk6ds4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUUPKEk6ds4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Last edited:
Yep, I've done four out of ten fingers so far. Not bad considering I'd done that by age 25! Here's the right hand I shortened up in the jointer a couple years back:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That was my right hand, and while I'm not completely useless with my left hand, I'm very much right handed. Needless to say I pretty much had to learn to wipe my rear all over again! Seven years ago (holy crap, I can't believe it's been that long...) I got my left ring finger pinched in a stacker outfeed drop chain at the fingerjoint mill I was working at. It pulled the whole tip right off, including the entire fingernail right out of the nailbed. The doc didn't want to sew it back on at first, he said there was only a 50% chance it would survive. I said as long as it's better than zero I wanted to try. It turned out fairly well, but is pretty much numb. I can feel pressure but I couldn't tell you if I was pressing on a tabletop or a thumbtack; still, it's better than nothing. I returned later after it healed to thank the doc in person and show him how it turned out - that seemed to make his day.

Joe, that sucks. I really do feel your pain! If you aren't already using them, see if you can get some dressings for that finger called "Adaptic Digit" like these:

http://esafetyproducts.com/mm5/merc...roduct_Code=31622&Category_Code=Adaptic_Digit

They roll on like a condom. They hurt like a MOTHER:censored: when you force them over the end, but they're SO worth it. They aren't all bulky and in the way, and the pressure of the dressing really helps with the throbbing pain. The nurses at the hospital here said they'd never seen anybody with three tip injuries like I had that was willing to take the pain. They didn't want to keep giving them to me at first, since apparently they're quite expensive and I was going through three a day for three weeks, but I insisted since I pay my taxes and feel entitled to what works best, so they kept giving them to me.

Also, as far as the pain goes, the key with that is anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen. They gave me a prescription for its big brother, Keterolac, and that really did the trick. It's not kind to your stomach though, and you can only take it for a couple weeks at most. I also got a scrip for Dilautid, a very strong morphine-type pill the doc said they normally gave to terminal cancer patients. That stuff was fun but I didn't use it much. Still have a dozen or so for a rainy day.:cheers:

Good luck Joe. Going by my own experiences, I'd say 6 weeks is probably a tad on the optimistic side. It'll look pretty decent by then, but mine weren't completely healed over for a couple months and were incredibly sensitive for many more. The cold really bothers them especially. Did you lose the whole fingernail? As you can see from my pictures, I lost a fair bit of length on my index finger but didn't lose the nail bed. Now it tends to want to grow right around the tip of the finger since there's no flesh underneath to keep it growing straight. It's not bad though, it kinda protects the tip.

You'll get used to the new finger quicker than you might expect, too. I can still type over 70 WPM with four buggered fingers, two of which are significantly numbed. The thing I have the biggest problem with is handling small screws (not a good combo for working on chainsaws!) because my right hand is functionally limited, and I don't have the best co-ordination with my left.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUUPKEk6ds4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUUPKEk6ds4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have seen that splitter before, I had a friend that had way more time on his hands and was an avid inventor and old machine adapter, he would have loved to see that adapted hay balere made into a spitter. He could figure out the most obscure uses for old discarded machines. He took a big walk behind roller vibrator and made a four wheel drive wood transporting buggy that would carry about a cord of 8 ' wood per load. It utilized the single cylinder diesel engine, the gear reduction box and used a chain drive to the front differential that was coupled to the rear differential with a driveshaft/ slip n slide yoke setup, this buggy was also articulated for steering. It worked really well on even semi rough ground as the front and rear sections could also roll at the articulation point through the use of a front spindle and drum from a 3/4 ton truck. He passed away 10 years ago and had a grage full of unfinished inventions he was working on.
Pioneerguy600

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the info Brad and no, that is not my wood splitter, I would have lost my whole hand in that contraption. That guy is pretty brave.

At first the doc wanted to graft some skin over it but decided it would be better to let it heal on it's own. If mine comes out looking half as good as yours, I'll be happy. I think the doctor was practicing for obamacare because he was taking the cheap way out. Obamacare doctors would probably say He has 7 other fingers, losing one won't be bad at all!

They prescribed Percocet and Motrin for the pain, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I have to change the dressing once a day, they gave me XEROFORM Petrolatum gauze dressing so it wouldn't stick to the wound. I thougt I would have to put something like neosporin on it, but they didn't say to.

Oh well, they say time heals all wounds, so I guess I'll see.

Joe

SPROCKET FOR Pioneer Available

Hi
I have available some (NEW) Herr N208-A7 Sprockets to suit Models Holiday11, p20, p21, p25, p26, p28, 970, 1072, 1073, 1074, 2071 & 2073. if any one wishes to purchase them.
Phone 0419899735.

Hey Fellas
I am just starting to get into collecting and restoring old Pioneer chainsaws.It would be great if some of you guys that are into Pioneer saws could show some pictures of your Pioneers.I currently am starting with a P25and1073.It seems to me that there are a few saws in the pioneer line up that have the same specs but just a different model number. Does anyone know why? For example the P25 and the 1073 .I think they are identical except for the starter .I have briefley looked thru printed manuals I have and sort of came to this conclusion.May be I should be a little more thorough before starting this up.But would like to see some pics from Pioneer lovers.
Many thanks
petesoldsaw

Hi I have some (NEW) Herr sprockets to fit these models.
If any one is interested Ph-0419899735...

Thanks for the info Brad and no, that is not my wood splitter, I would have lost my whole hand in that contraption. That guy is pretty brave.

At first the doc wanted to graft some skin over it but decided it would be better to let it heal on it's own. If mine comes out looking half as good as yours, I'll be happy. I think the doctor was practicing for obamacare because he was taking the cheap way out. Obamacare doctors would probably say He has 7 other fingers, losing one won't be bad at all!

They prescribed Percocet and Motrin for the pain, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I have to change the dressing once a day, they gave me XEROFORM Petrolatum gauze dressing so it wouldn't stick to the wound. I thougt I would have to put something like neosporin on it, but they didn't say to.

Oh well, they say time heals all wounds, so I guess I'll see.

Joe

I put Polysporin on mine daily. You can get it with some mild analgesic in the formula which helps the pain a bit too. If he didn't graft skin or sew it up, the key is to keep the wound "wet" for as long as absolutely possible, because it'll keep growing new tissue until it scabs over, then at that point it'll start growing new skin cells to close it up. It's become the way things like this are treated now - it's not very often they want to go in and shave the bone down and sew the end up tight anymore.

You guys don't know what you're missing as far as single-payer healthcare goes. It's the one reason I could never ever move to the US. I'd never give up what I have here. I didn't have to pay a single soul a dime for any of my treatment and even the drugs cost maybe $25 at most. Also, I didn't have to worry about any paperwork nonsense before getting treated - I just handed my British Columbia medical card to my brother and he went and took care of what little there was for me. Even if I had insurance in your system I would have been desperately broke just paying the deductibles. The insurance companies are the ones that restrict the level of care to keep their profits afloat, not single-payer systems. But that's another thread entirely for somewhere else... :deadhorse:

I was wondering if anyone has a 28" bar for the P-series that they could part with. I need one for my Alaskan mill setup and that size is a little hard to come by around here. I'm going to run my orange P62 with this setup and go cut some timbers for a raised vegetable garden.

I was wondering if anyone has a 28" bar for the P-series that they could part with. I need one for my Alaskan mill setup and that size is a little hard to come by around here. I'm going to run my orange P62 with this setup and go cut some timbers for a raised vegetable garden.

I see that Bailey`s has Carlton premium sprocket nose bars for under $40.00. They have both (HU) & (PP) mount patterns for the large P series saws. Hope this helps. Art

Pioneer P21

Picked up a P21 the other day for euro equiv of $10 In very good condition,runs really well still has a Pioneer chain[pretty worn] only thing wrong needs a new air filter cover, working O.K. but doesn`t look too good. My PLEA any one have one of these they would be willing to sell to me or know the whereabouts of one any help greatly appreciated

Picked up a P21 the other day for euro equiv of $10 In very good condition,runs really well still has a Pioneer chain[pretty worn] only thing wrong needs a new air filter cover, working O.K. but doesn`t look too good. My PLEA any one have one of these they would be willing to sell to me or know the whereabouts of one any help greatly appreciated

Please get in line :hmm3grin2orange:

Please get in line :hmm3grin2orange:
Yes, good luck with that, they are very very rare.:popcorn:

Thanks for the bad news guys.I guess in that case just having a tiny piece missing from one corner makes it better than most One day perhaps you never know your luck.

Pioneer P61

I am in need of a Pioneer P61 Clutch.
Or a rebuild Kit, my P61 is currently down, but when it comes back up, I will need to replace the Clutch before I do much cutting.

Any of you have one you can sell me? Or do you know of a place I can get one?

Thanks

Thanks for the bad news guys.I guess in that case just having a tiny piece missing from one corner makes it better than most One day perhaps you never know your luck.

They do show up from time to time. I have one nice green one and one nice brown one, and I don't know how many broken ones. They are rare enough that I won't use my saws with a good cover in case I break one, I swap for an old one if I'm going cutting. I've seen them fetch over 30.00$ on ebay.

Al- I believe Madsaw has extra new air filter covers for the smaller Pioneers. It's worth asking him. I know all of sponsors don't have any.

P61 clutch

I am in need of a Pioneer P61 Clutch.
Or a rebuild Kit, my P61 is currently down, but when it comes back up, I will need to replace the Clutch before I do much cutting.

Any of you have one you can sell me? Or do you know of a place I can get one?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have one, but I have been getting most of my parts from ebay or www.rottmansales.com. Check out their web site for a parts breakdown on your P61 and send them an email with what you need and they will reply within a day or so with availability and price. I have gotten a few items from them like a piston and rings for my P42.

Joe

Sorry, I don't have one, but I have been getting most of my parts from ebay or www.rottmansales.com. Check out their web site for a parts breakdown on your P61 and send them an email with what you need and they will reply within a day or so with availability and price. I have gotten a few items from them like a piston and rings for my P42.

Joe

Sir,

Thank you so much!!!
The diagrams help more than you know!!!

Back