Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer 325x058 chain

Picked up a P21 all original even down to the chain although chain has a broken cutter Took the chain to my local saw shop to get it machine sharpened as the cutters were a bit uneven he sharpened the chain & tried to replace the broken cutter with a plain tie strap PROBLEM the holes in the drive links are a different size to his stock tie straps [oregon]Doe`s any one have a couple of new tie straps to let me get the chain up & running as I would like to keep it original if possible Any takers please P.M.me Thanks in Hope Al.

Mark, humblest apologies on my part. I cleared out my PM box (saved to file, didn't delete them!) a couple weeks back, and between going back to work at the mill and getting into spring cleaning / yardwork mode, I plumb forgot all about it. Sorry!

Will send a PM shortly.

Jerry, say I had a nice cover for a 2071 and another member asked me to sell it to him and I asked for $20 for it?

Did I ask too much? I'm thinkin I must have since he never replied back again.

Definitely not, if he does not want it then he is just too cheap to collect Pioneers. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Well, Jerry, did that package ever make it out of Canadian customs purgatory yet? Just wondering.

Ok, I guess I can post here now since I am the owner of a running Pioneer chainsaw. :cheers:

I went through this pile of saws and parts and fell partial to a little 1074 with a like new P/C that was in a semi state of disassembly.

I found all the parts to put it together and after cleaning the points and kitting the carb it ran good. I cleaned it up and thats when I found the broken case, right next to the handle. :mad:

Today I tore it all back apart and put all the good parts on another case and crank. It runs well again. I'm not 100% certain that the other case I used was a 1074, it might have been a P-25? It had a 1 ring piston in it and the one I used had a 2 ring piston. No matter as I could find no difference in the case's.

I would have like to try it out today but I have to try to repair this air filter cover for it. :mad: It has a piece missing and some cracks that I'm repairing with fiberglass cloth and resion. I'm sure it wont look that great, but it should function ok and should be stronger then new.

I was impressed with some of the build ideas on this little saw, like the use of nuts in slots to hold the handle and cyl on it. What a shame they cheaped out on these air filter covers though.

Way to go, Mark. The first Pioneer I rebuilt was a 1074, and in fact I built many. They are a good saw, nice and small for a 50cc size. I carry one on the front of my quad. I also have one that has never been run. After running a P62 for a couple hours, they feel like a feather.

Did the 1074 actually have the 2 ring piston? I'm pretty sure this is a 1074 as it has the 1074 on the clutch cover and the recoil with the 1074 plate was in the same box with it.

I'll keep messing with fixing this filter cover this week a little at a time and hopefully try it out next weekend. The only 50cc saws I have are the Swedish hot rods but this one feels and sounds good.

Got the same type of feel as my old Poulans.

Well, Jerry, did that package ever make it out of Canadian customs purgatory yet? Just wondering.

Ok, I guess I can post here now since I am the owner of a running Pioneer chainsaw. :cheers:

I went through this pile of saws and parts and fell partial to a little 1074 with a like new P/C that was in a semi state of disassembly.

I found all the parts to put it together and after cleaning the points and kitting the carb it ran good. I cleaned it up and thats when I found the broken case, right next to the handle. :mad:

Today I tore it all back apart and put all the good parts on another case and crank. It runs well again. I'm not 100% certain that the other case I used was a 1074, it might have been a P-25? It had a 1 ring piston in it and the one I used had a 2 ring piston. No matter as I could find no difference in the case's.

I would have like to try it out today but I have to try to repair this air filter cover for it. :mad: It has a piece missing and some cracks that I'm repairing with fiberglass cloth and resion. I'm sure it wont look that great, but it should function ok and should be stronger then new.

I was impressed with some of the build ideas on this little saw, like the use of nuts in slots to hold the handle and cyl on it. What a shame they cheaped out on these air filter covers though.

I think it may be at the Post Office, I got a notice out of the mail box on Saturday , says there is a parcel there for me, could be the Pioneer or any other of the 4-5 that are on there way to me.
The 1074 could have either 1 or 2 rings, some IPL`s I have show 2 iron rings and others show 1 captive ring. The 1074`s are quite close to the P26 and P28 and parts interchange easily.
Pioneerguy600

HeHe

:drool:
attachment.php
:drool:

Looking good, I see you finally found some. :clap::clap:
Madsaw?
Pioneerguy600

Yep, the tip was accurate! I am very happy with them.

I think I have everything now to do the P25 except the paint and new decals. :clap:

Once I get that one done I can compare it "powerwise" to the unrebuilt 1073 which I use once and awhile. I am pretty curious because I just got a teeny weenie Mac 2.0 running (32cc) and it seems to cut better than the 1073 (51cc) does :dizzy: It may just be that the 1073 needs new P&C...

Yep, the tip was accurate! I am very happy with them.

I think I have everything now to do the P25 except the paint and new decals. :clap:

Once I get that one done I can compare it "powerwise" to the unrebuilt 1073 which I use once and awhile. I am pretty curious because I just got a teeny weenie Mac 2.0 running (32cc) and it seems to cut better than the 1073 (51cc) does :dizzy: It may just be that the 1073 needs new P&C...

Cool beans, yea the 1073 will eat that lil 32cc if it running right. Dad and I once ripped a 12"X 16" spruce beam 24' long for a carrying beam in his house with one and it only took about an hour to square all four sides.
Pioneerguy600

Cool beans, yea the 1073 will eat that lil 32cc if it running right. Dad and I once ripped a 12"X 16" spruce beam 24' long for a carrying beam in his house with one and it only took about an hour to square all four sides.
Pioneerguy600

This confirms my suspicions. The weird thing is that the saw runs well, idles well etc. But I did have to make a new idle stop screw to push the throttle every so slightly further when idling to get it to run right. I think it has pretty low compression and I know there is some scoring above the single piston ring.

Found it!

I've been looking for my Dad's old Pioneer saw.
Found the brush cutter attachment a few weeks ago but the saw was nowhere to be found.
I was feeling that it had been "borrowed" by one of the local thieving dirt-bags.
I was in the workshop part of the barn yesterday and for some reason peeked behind some sheet steel leaning behind the furnace. Eureka! There it is! Wiped off the nameplate and it's a 1200.
So, can any of you can tell me of any problem areas that I should look for before trying to fire it up? I don't want to fry it as it has been sitting for about 25 - 30 years.
I'll post pics tomorrow after Easter breakfast w/ Mom.

Back