Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Farmsaw

Well I finnally got this saw going...again. I had gotten it 2 years ago with a bad coil. Ordered a new one (another blue coil), rebuilt the carb new fuel lines and it ran great for about a week. Then, it was flooding out, I said no way its the coil I just bought it!? Checked the switch, grounds, lead to the switch. All were good, another bad coil. So it sat for a year. Then I talked to modified mark about a parts saw hed just gotten in. Was nice enough to ship it out and it had spark. Also has good compression, p/c and some other good parts but the recoil is shot. It had a better air filter cover than mine as was the upper trigger/carb box. Both parts also had decals and mine was missing them all. Bolted it back up, swapped the 16" bar for a nice Sandvik 20" just needs the chain sharpened. This saw runs STRONG, I forgot since I only ran it twice.

Model RA main bearings.

I'm thinking I will use open bearings instead of the shielded OEM on this RA. After all, we are not going to mix 40w at 12:1 for fuel but 32:1 with synthetic.

Makes sense to me the more I think about it.

Also, someone have good SKF or ? seal numbers for both ends of the crank? My old Chicago Rawhide book is no help.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will use open bearings instead of the shielded OEM on this RA. After all, we are not going to mix 40w at 12:1 for fuel but 32:1 with synthetic.

Makes sense to me the more I think about it.

Also, someone have good SKF or ? seal numbers for both ends of the crank? My old Chicago Rawhide book is no help.

CR numbers, small-562993,....big seal- 6661. I get mine through Motion Seals.
Seals measure 17 X 32 X 7mm and 17 X 40 X 7mm.

Making good progress on the RA.

Picked up the seals today. Auto/truck parts store had 'em on the shelf.:msp_ohmy: Bearing house will have the wrist pin bearing in by 9 in the morning.

Going to run the rest of the parts thru the wash machine at the automotive machine shop.

If enuff of the old paint comes off we may just clear coat the darn thing.

Or, paint it Allis Chalmers orange and off white.

Or, just paint it yellow again.:msp_rolleyes:

Or, I.H. red and satin black.

Blue?

Green...............................No Not fond of green.

Picked up the seals today. Auto/truck parts store had 'em on the shelf.:msp_ohmy: Bearing house will have the wrist pin bearing in by 9 in the morning.

Going to run the rest of the parts thru the wash machine at the automotive machine shop.

Blue?

Purple ! :rock:

Blue?

How about 'Holstein?'

More RA misc.

Got some more parts washed while I picked up the wrist pin bearing. Even the builder's tag stayed on.

Wish I had a sand/bead blaster, this thing would not get painted.

attachment.php

Going to look at a few saws tonight....

As mentioned earlier I am picking up a 750.

The seller mentioned that he has a bunch of old iron... 2 RA's with good compression and spark but missing clutch covers, and top covers, a NU17, a 400, again good compression and spark but not currently running.

What would an RA that is complete except top cover and clutch cover be worth? I believe I've read that the top covers are hard to come by.... does hard= "impossible", or "it'll take a few months"...

He's also mentioned he's got a MAC 15, Lombard Wonder 650, a bunch of various Homies and Mac's... This is really my first dip into the vintage pool. So any advice is appreciated.

The seller mentioned that he has a bunch of old iron... 2 RA's with good compression and spark but missing clutch covers, and top covers, a NU17, a 400, again good compression and spark but not currently running.

What would an RA that is complete except top cover and clutch cover be worth? I believe I've read that the top covers are hard to come by.... does hard= "impossible", or "it'll take a few months"...

He's also mentioned he's got a MAC 15, Lombard Wonder 650, a bunch of various Homies and Mac's... This is really my first dip into the vintage pool. So any advice is appreciated.

On the RA top cover ... I don't know that the top covers are all that hard to locate, but the scripted/cast 'Pioneer' that goes on that cover is darned near impossible.

Good luck on your hunt! :msp_thumbup:

I gave 35 USD for the above RA project I'm working on. Complete saw. I'd pass on one missing stuff. But, they are cool.

No. That would be bad.

1) When the cows came around and you put the saw down it may take hours to find it.

2) The bull would try to mate with it.
The only thing worse than 2), is if happens while you're using it, or you didn't notice his attempt and picked up the saw, after he finished.

The RA project.

I got the bottom end together thanks to pioneerguy600 with his donation of crank, rod and wrist pin. Things are looking so good I ordered a pair of rings. :msp_ohmy: Going to be gone to Frankenmuth, Michigan for several days so W.T.H.. The wait won't seem so long.

It pumped 120 before so it will be interesting to see if we improve it.:msp_unsure:

I have got to check the contents of my cousin's barn..............................................................................................

IEL HC Crank Seals

I need to get a set of IEL HC crank seals. Does anyone have a part number for some standard seals that will work?
I haven't pulled the clutch or flywheel yet but I at least know it sounds like there is almost no seal on the flywheel side under pressure.
The piston rings are sealing well. It's interesting to see that the piston is knurled.

Thanks

An RA missing its top cover is not really worth much, top covers in good shape are hard to find, clutch covers are a little easier. I would say $45-$50. would be about it. The top covers can be found but I know some guys on here that waited more than a couple of years to get one.

I decided against the 750. There was a lot of pitting around the top handle mount, rear handle, even the top cover where the rear handle attached... He needed to get 100 out of it. If the case/tank were in better shape I would have gone for it.

Instead I picked up an RA (complete except top cover and recoil cover) and what he said was a NU17 that had 400 top cover and lower cover. I dropped 80 bucks which is probably 20 too much but I'm ok as I'll have two projects. Really I'm excited about the RA as my Grampa had one that I should have grabbed when I was younger (regrets)...

View attachment 301104View attachment 301105View attachment 301106View attachment 301107View attachment 301108

Back