Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The IE model HC is very heavy for its size, they have knurled pistons,

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

I noticed that on the piston. Any idea why Jerry? I know people used to knurl pistons to increase diameter on over bores but I thought maybe it was done to hold oil better.

Heavy indeed but, compared to my Mac 380 it feels kind of nimble.

I noticed that on the piston. Any idea why Jerry? I know people used to knurl pistons to increase diameter on over bores but I thought maybe it was done to hold oil better.

Heavy indeed but, compared to my Mac 380 it feels kind of nimble.

I figure it was for oil retention also, its the only model I have seen this in coming this way from the factory. I have two of these saws, both came to me with stripped sparkplug threads.

These things must come in groups...

I was throwing out feelers to all people on kijiji who had IEL's or Pioneers trying to find a starter or top cover for my RA.... A successful day. I came across someone who had a starter but the spring is busted. He's going to send it my way for free (such a nice guy!). He seems to think that a spring from a 600 series saw may work in it and apparently these are a bit easier to find. Any idea if he's right about that???

Anyhow another guy I was talking to had an HC. I sent him a link to Acer's as he didn't know anything about what he had.... He had it listed fro $55. We got to talking and he said he'd rather see it go to someone who would appreciate it. Next thing you know I now have a HC for $35.

A good day.

Fat Alice is a runner.

Hobby Lobby turned up a sheet of .016" x 5" x 7" copper. A bit thicker than I wanted. They also have a roll of .003" thick x 12" foil.

With the old cyl. head gasket (.030" thick) he pumps 140 psi. A loss of 10 psi vrs. no gasket but 20 more than the 120 he came in the door with.

After many pulls without spark plug to get fuel in the carb, the old bat started third pull on a dribble of gas.:D

Called it 'Fat Alice' as it is old, fat, and a ruff ride........................................................................:rolleyes2:

Much to do yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hobby Lobby turned up a sheet of .016" x 5" x 7" copper. A bit thicker than I wanted. They also have a roll of .003" thick x 12" foil.

With the old cyl. head gasket (.030" thick) he pumps 140 psi. A loss of 10 psi vrs. no gasket but 20 more than the 120 he came in the door with.

After many pulls without spark plug to get fuel in the carb, the old bat started third pull on a dribble of gas.:D

Called it 'Fat Alice' as it is old, fat, and a ruff ride........................................................................:rolleyes2:

Much to do yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking good Carl,....Wait did I say that!....LOL

That paint color is atrocious...LOL

Do you need a fuel bowl?

I was throwing out feelers to all people on kijiji who had IEL's or Pioneers trying to find a starter or top cover for my RA.... A successful day. I came across someone who had a starter but the spring is busted. He's going to send it my way for free (such a nice guy!). He seems to think that a spring from a 600 series saw may work in it and apparently these are a bit easier to find. Any idea if he's right about that???

Anyhow another guy I was talking to had an HC. I sent him a link to Acer's as he didn't know anything about what he had.... He had it listed fro $55. We got to talking and he said he'd rather see it go to someone who would appreciate it. Next thing you know I now have a HC for $35.

A good day.

The spring from a 600 series would fit.

The RA project.

Goodness me, this fat old b&%@$ likes to run. Two pulls with the choke on and next one off and grab the trigger and away we go.

Three long cuts in a 20" maple log with a cooling off in between. Don't want to break a ring or trash a piston.

Needs a longer bar but the old bat is almost more than a skinny geezer can manage with the 18.

Waiting for it to cool down so we can read the plug. (CJ7Y)

Thanks again for the crank Jerry.:rock:

Looking good Carl,....Wait did I say that!....LOL

That paint color is atrocious...LOL

Do you need a fuel bowl?

Too much like Husqvarna orange? :hmm3grin2orange: My Dayton/Poulan 245 needed company in the pile.

Maybe a fuel bowl way down the road. Present setup works well w/big Walbro filter in the tank. Aaron is sending me a Tilly HL fuel strainer cover w/hose barb to replace the butchered one.:msp_thumbup: Someone cut it off and stuck a plastic tube in the hole. I sealed with liquid tape for now.

Goodness me, this fat old b&%@$ likes to run. Two pulls with the choke on and next one off and grab the trigger and away we go.

Three long cuts in a 20" maple log with a cooling off in between. Don't want to break a ring or trash a piston.

Needs a longer bar but the old bat is almost more than a skinny geezer can manage with the 18.

Waiting for it to cool down so we can read the plug. (CJ7Y)

Thanks again for the crank Jerry.:rock:

And to think that 13 years of age I was carrying one of those saws for more than a mile each way to and from the house to just cut firewood for 8-10 hrs a day. The saw had a 20" bar with .404 chain, semi chisel most times back then. The tool bag,gallon of gas and a quart of oil + an axe seemed lighter back then....LOL

Too much like Husqvarna orange? :hmm3grin2orange: My Dayton/Poulan 245 needed company in the pile.

Maybe a fuel bowl way down the road. Present setup works well w/big Walbro filter in the tank. Aaron is sending me a Tilly HL fuel strainer cover w/hose barb to replace the butchered one.:msp_thumbup: Someone cut it off and stuck a plastic tube in the hole. I sealed with liquid tape for now.

I have a couple spare ones if you ever want one.

Pioneer 620 hoping to fire again

Hi folks, I have bought my first old saw. I am chasing a few bits and pieces and thought someone here could shed some light or pictures on what is missing?

Here she is

Firstly it was missing the bowl and retainer, I managed to source them;

Arrived yesty

What I'm stuck on is what goes inside. I know there is a fuel filter/gauze of sometype but unsure what it looks like or how it is held in place. There is a thread in there so I'm assuming something screws in place to perhaps retain it/secure it. Any ideas or pictures?

Pioneer 620 hoping to fire up

The oil pump works but was pumping black ooze so I pulled it down and cleaned it up.

A bit more degreasing to do. Perhaps the oil and sludge is what preserved things to some degree. Some older clean saws I have come across have got quite a bit of metal corrosion. This one started momentarily 5 years ago but has started 10 years prior to that. So really 15 years of sitting around.

Its got a heap of compression, turns over beautifully, oil pump works, good spark, have bar and chain so once I sort this out I hope to get it running.

Last edited:
Howdy, they are not up to the minute pictures.

What I'm stuck on is what goes inside the fuel bowl. I know there is a fuel filter/gauze of sometype but unsure what it looks like or how it is held in place. There is a thread in there so I'm assuming something screws in place to perhaps retain it/secure it. Any ideas or pictures?

Howdy, they are not up to the minute pictures.

What I'm stuck on is what goes inside the fuel bowl. I know there is a fuel filter/gauze of sometype but unsure what it looks like or how it is held in place. There is a thread in there so I'm assuming something screws in place to perhaps retain it/secure it. Any ideas or pictures?

Just a little cotton(?) element the sits snugly in the pickup opening. Nothing threaded in there except the screw that holds down the assembly. Given that there is a filter in the tank and one in the HL carby, I wouldn't worry about this element turning up missing.

The real important part is to make sure the bowls seals well. The carby pulls vacuum thru that thing so any little leak will mean a saw that won't run.

Chris B.

Hi Chris, thanks for that. I need to source a gasket or make one up in the next week. I may just pull the exhaust too before I try and start it. I'm curious as to how things are in there after all these years.

Hi Chris, thanks for that. I need to source a gasket or make one up in the next week. I may just pull the exhaust too before I try and start it. I'm curious as to how things are in there after all these years.

You really need to do all of that on an old saw if you intend to run it again. If it sucks in old carbon from the exhaust ports or some breaks free from the piston crown then more serious damage can be done. I suggest you pull the cylinder off and clean it up real well, make sure the rings are free and the lands clean of old carbon. You can just reuse the base and head gasket over again. That round cylindrical felt filter in the fuel pickup/bowl is easy to find and its just a slip in fit. They help strain foreign stuff from the fuel but the saw can be run without it if the tank and lines are really clean. Make up a list of what is missing on your saw and post it here and over on the old magnesium saw thread and you will likely find what you need.

Latest posts

Back