Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea but forgive me for my pioneer ignorance. I just have not dug into them yet. But they are both 100cc roughly? Same basic design ? Why is the bp655 superior? I love the pioneer p41 I have it's a great little saw

In my own ignorance, having been around Pioneers for 30 yrs., I'd never heard of a 655BP until a few years ago. Same basic design and displacement, but the porting is pretty sophisticated. This includes a boost port and a specialized piston to optimize that port. A bad, bad saw.

Welcome! It's really cool to start out with an old saw as a first project. I love working on the oldies, but be ready for the long haul as they can be consuming..lol.

I have a parts diagram I can photo for you, but none on file. If no one has one to email I'll try to take a pic for you.

Thanks alot. I'll let you know if I need it. Anyone else know anything about this old beast

Thanks that's good info. Sounds stupid but where is the choke on this thing
See my post just above your most recent one. I added that through edit.
I found with a lot of old saws it helps to prime the carb with fuel mix. Pull the air filter and you should have access to the air inlet to the carb.
Choke open, shoot about an eye dropper of mix in and start. It should run for a few seconds. With mix in the tank, and if the fuel lines are OK and the carb diaphragms and gaskets are OK, it may start running in 3 to 5 prime shots.

JB Weld is an epoxy and works really well. You could just leave the spike off if you are concerned about it not holding. If you end up using the P61 crank, use the main bearings that came with it as the 655 had a bearing change. You could see about getting a piston and cylinder kit for the 655, but if you don't have the ignition and flywheel it gets to be an expensive exercise. If you are looking for used parts, the 655 uses its own flywheel, # 476524. The only donor saw using that flywheel is the P65. The ignition module used by the 655 is #476339. It is a common module used by the following saws. P39 and P39+, P42, P45, P52, P52+, P62, Poulan Pro 405,455,525. Watch out for the early P39's as they used a blue coil, the same as the farmsaw series, and it will not work plus they seemed to have a high failure rate.

See my post just above your most recent one. I added that through edit.
I found with a lot of old saws it helps to prime the carb with fuel mix. Pull the air filter and you should have access to the air inlet to the carb.
Choke open, shoot about an eye dropper of mix in and start. It should run for a few seconds. With mix in the tank, and if the fuel lines are OK and the carb diaphragms and gaskets are OK, it may start running in 3 to 5 prime shots.
Thanks alot. Did as you said and it will run for a few seconds. I'm guessing the diagram and gadgets are shot. The fella that works on my husky when I can't fix it told me about a guy who used to work on mcollochs and pioneersin my area. Going to see him tomorrow to see if he has a carb kit for it. I would assume parts are pretty non-existent for this saw though. I would really like to get it running good though it looks to be in good shape on the exterior.

Thanks alot. Did as you said and it will run for a few seconds. I'm guessing the diagram and gadgets are shot. The fella that works on my husky when I can't fix it told me about a guy who used to work on mcollochs and pioneersin my area. Going to see him tomorrow to see if he has a carb kit for it. I would assume parts are pretty non-existent for this saw though. I would really like to get it running good though it looks to be in good shape on the exterior.

It should have a Tillotson HP carb on it. If you have no luck with the old saw guy, sugarcreek supply manufactures kits for that carb.

Hi All,
I just got a pioneer partner p 39.. looks like a clean saw, definitely a homeowner only saw in the suburbs.. One of my guys checked it out.. no spark..
I can post pics..
is it worth anything?
Thanks,

Hi All,
I just got a pioneer partner p 39.. looks like a clean saw, definitely a homeowner only saw in the suburbs.. One of my guys checked it out.. no spark..
I can post pics..
is it worth anything?
Thanks,
If that wonderful blue coil, there is a lot of discussion in earlier posts about retaining the iron lamination and replacing the coil itself. I think Jerry (pioneerguy600) has done it with coils from many different manufacturers.

Here is a P51 that I just got done rebuilding. It was a good saw that had been neglected for many years. Carb rebuild, new gaskets, rings, and a few other parts. A big thanks to Hillwilliam for providing me with some great tips and experience as well as a kick ass ported cylinder that's now on this saw. Thanks to all for the tips and advice, and thank you Fossil for the repair manual, it was a big help

Back