Pioneer clearing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guy's
I put a little blurb on the Pioneer thread but thought I should put something here as well.Do any of you know anything about old clearing saw's,the one's that have bike type handle bars.I can't post a picture right now but thought I would put some feelers out.I picked this unit up last week.The power is a old Pioneer 1200 chain saw,it is connected to a coupling that has a shaft and a end mount.On the shaft it has a Pioneer decal and near the top end has a riveted plate that says Ronco I think.It is partly obscured by the exhaust deflector.This is not some haywire contraption.It definitely looks factory made and well built.It also seems to match the age of the saw.Anybody got one of these or similar type unit ?Do you think it was an aftermarket thing or did Pioneer send them out with this attachment?Could any of you post pics of older ones you have?It has no gaurd or blade with it,so I would like some info on this if possible.I really can't see how this would be some kind of trimmer has it seems far to heavy duty.I have not yet attempted to start it.
Thanks Guy's
petesoldsaw

Hello Pete,

There were many manufactures that used their engines on various attachments such as the trimmers. Stihl did it with various models as well as Homelite and McCulloch. It is nice to see Pioneer did too. That is a nice find.

Bill

Little more Info

Hi Fellas
Thanks Bill for responding, hopefully that may get others to as well.The name on the attachment is Brushking by Rowco from New Hampshire.Would it have come from the Pioneer factory like this or possibly on display in the retailers stores.More input would be great
Thanks
Petesoldsaw

Last edited:
I have not seen the Pioneer version. I own a Homelite XL12/SXL with the clearing saw attachment. I have seen Stihl ones with the 08 and 041 engines. I belive they used others also. A real neat one used teh Mac 33/35. One thing is they are heavy. I used to have a sawette attachment for one that used a chainsaw bar and 1/2" chain. I will try to link a pic of it.

Bill.

Rowco BrushKing New Hampshire

Hello Bill and Others
Bill I don't think that I explained that brush clearing unit too well.The powerhead was a Pioneer 1200 chainsaw,but the brush clearing shaft and rest of the unit was made by Rowco of Keene New Hampshire.At one time though A dealer must have matched the two together and sold them as one unit.the BrushKing unit was painted almost the same color as the Pioneer saw and had a Pioneer label attached to the shaft of the BrushKing .The clearing saw was made by Rowco though and has the badge on it along with model number ,a 321 model.Still would like to find a manual for this machine and try and find a couple of original brush blades for it.There must be a whack of parts somewhere for a company that was in production from around 1956 o r1957 till the early 1980's,but I sure don't know where they are hiding.

Anyone on this site familiar with old chainsaw dealerships or old Farm supply companies in New Hampshire that may give me some leads to parts and manuals
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back