piston for stihl 041 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyboy007

Reaction score
I have a stihl 041 av that has low compression. Does anyone know if I can get an oversized piston or if I may be able to get by with a new standard piston and rings. Thanks Steve

I have a stihl 041 av that has low compression. Does anyone know if I can get an oversized piston or if I may be able to get by with a new standard piston and rings. Thanks Steve

why do you need a over sized piston
e-bay
get a golf piston
and rings for the 041

Basically Stihl cylinder walls are chrome lined and very hard and durable. You can usually hone the cylinder and put new piston and rings in and get acceptable compression. :)

thanks

Basically Stihl cylinder walls are chrome lined and very hard and durable. You can usually hone the cylinder and put new piston and rings in and get acceptable compression. :)

thanks for the info, I have never rebuilt a saw before. I just thought that it would need an oversized piston because of the age and the usage.

Hey guys, I'm in search of a piston kit for an 041 as well. Are the Golf pistons on Ebay good or are they junk; I was really hoping to find OEM parts but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Golf pistons for the most part are good enough to put in rebuilders,older saws that you don`t expect to get 2000 hours of run time out of them. I have installed close to a dozen of them in saws and they are running and working out well. One saw that has a Golf piston in it has run and cut 60+ cords of hardwood for its owner over a five year period and still has 140-145 lbs cold compression. Some members have posted on here that they had problems with the snap rings that hold the piston pin in place, some had breakage and one said the pin would slip out with the snap ring in place, that the grooves in the piston were too deep but I have not experienced this myself. The Meteor pistons are of a better quality and some of the site sponsors on here sell them.
Pioneerguy600

i would pressure test the saw first to see what the compression is, that will determine if you need a new piston and rings, or just rings

Not to sound sassy but what psi do you say rings are needed and what psi for pston and rings?:biggrinbounce2:
if you are pushing say 125-130 psi, then i just do rings
if you are pushing anything under that pull the jug and look at what you got

Back