piston id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampakev

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can somone tell me what type of piston this is. i've looked everywhere and cant find one. i want to build another splitter and want a piston that mounts like this. thank you.
LS27270_lf.png

trunion mount cylinder

That cylinder is called a trunion mount. The only advantage I see is that the beam under it doesn't have to be as long, saving some steel.

30dodge thanks, im tring to cut down on the weight, and build a horizontil, and vert. i think i'll build it like this, in the vert, and with the tounge up, it can be stored up agenst a wall out of the way. i cant find one of these pistons, northern, surplus center, nobody has them. thanks

The long thing is a cylinder, the piston is the part inside that moves back and forth.

trunnion mounts are hard to find because they are not commonly used in consumer equipment. i.e. not enough volume for the NH or surplus center places to sell. thus they are typically industrial quality low volume high buck stuff. Usually the trunnions are machined, and they mount in machined pads not stamped mounts like shown.
Reason for using trunnion mount is that the effective length from trunnion to extended rod end is half the length of a closed end clevis mount, thus less tendency to buckle the rod as a column in compression. They can also make shorter tighter arcs following motions like a crankshaft, but that is not an issue on a logsplitter.

IIRC, that splitter shown uses one port of very thick wall steel as one trunnion, and welds the same thing on the other side as the other trunnion. Neat engineering. The little Brave unit uses a trunnion mount like shown, and has a second trunnion set near the closed end. the rod end set is lifted out of the bracket, the entire cylinder/pusher moved to the left, and the closed end trunnion drops into the bracket. Thus, the stowed position is 20 inches shorted than the working position so great for storage.

I am trying to build the same concept using a cyl with flat plate mount on the rod end. Surplus Center has a 3 x 19 cylinder cylinder with flat plate mount on the rod seal end, I think mine was about $120. Granted 3 B is small, but for a very light portable unit it is working out well (in progress slowly). Would that work for you? I'd normally go 4 inch Bore for any trailer mounted unit though.

k

kevin, i seen that piston/cylinder but was thinking the same thing, is the 3" to small. that was a intense discription:dizzy:, im just a simple build it in the barn kind of a person. but now im thinking of going with that cilinder, for the price its not bad. thanks.

3 inches is definitely too small for large rounds. As an only splitter for use in a wood lot, no.

But most of what I can get here is storm season wood, green, and usually 16 inches or less. For that I want light weight, SPEED, and ability to mount on a receiver hitch like the Brave and some others do. One vehicle, easy to get around, and fast to split and move on. Then retract the cylinder to the second set of trunnions for short storage space.
Just not progressing very fast on that project.

I have shares in a 4 inch trailer type that does all the dry stuff. Anything it can't do, the saws can rip. I have no need, nor patience, for a larger unit that takes forever to cycle.

Others do need much bigger cylinders. So in most cases a 3 inch will be laughed at as a toy. All depends on whether or not it meets your specific needs.

I'll reply to your pm with the info later. need to get to work. kcj

The disadvantage I see on this splitter is where the hyd tank and splitter tires are located. You will have to straddle the hyd tank in order to run the hand control. Or stand behind the tank/tires and reach for the lever. With a longer I-beam, the whole tank assembly/engine would be shifted forward to to balance the splitter, and give the operator more room to work. The way it is now, there isnt much weight on the tongue so the whole assembly is shifted back further to balance the splitter. Just my thoughts.

attachment.php
kevin, thanks, reaper, another good point. this is the one i built mabye i"ll just leave well enough alone. thanks

Latest posts

Back