Piston look OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralKayoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've run about a dozen tanks of fuel through it. Decided to pop the muffler off and give it a look. There does appear to be some very light scoring. Is this normal?

Also, I completely forgot about the muffler gasket and don't have one on hand. The old one is stuck on there but didn't tear. Would it be ok to just re-use it?

IMG_20240227_141504701.jpg
IMG_20240227_141447449.jpg

Looks like the scratches are due to poor port chambers on a aftermarket cylinder?
For a gasket you could use hi temp RTV, but it's not very durable. I would go down to Napa and get some graphic gasket material and make one.

Was the bottom end and bearings perfectly clean before the piston& cylinder was installed?
Its a Holzforma G660 Pro with a meteor piston. I didn't build it, some Chinese factory did. So probably not lol
Looks like the scratches are due to poor port chambers on a aftermarket cylinder?
So nothing to really worry about?

Is this something I should do in this case, or not worry about it?
Any time you remove a cylinder the chance of some crud dropping is high.
I try to clean the top end as well as possible but still flush the case before bolting the cyl in place.

Flush the case with mix gas…repeat…repeat…

And that's why I like it cleaned up before taking it apart, if cases are staying together.

Also have to be clean putting things together, p-towel in the case until you slip the jug back on........don't set the parts down on the table next to your bench grinder.......

As I understand, this is a Chinese saw . And, you decide to look at the piston ? For what ?
Is it running bad ?
You answered your own question there - Because it's a Chinese saw! That's why I wanted to look! It's running fine honestly, I just like tinkering.

You answered your own question there - Because it's a Chinese saw! That's why I wanted to look! It's running fine honestly, I just like tinkering.
Good.
Sand the port edges on the sides mostly top and bottom intake and exhaust. Use old 320 dry or 600 wet. Just remove the sharp edge nothing more. Clean the thing and rinse it out good. I use hot water in the sink, literally, or the USC. Be warned you need to dry it out immediately when it's not full of soap and water. Oil the bottom end by filling it 1/3 and dump it to both sides. I do set mine on the stove or in the sun if they are hot or could possibly have water trapped in some weird spot. Spin it over a bunch while tilted to each side with oil. Use a brush on the cylinder walls and the rest of whatever.

One grain of sand will damage stuff. Pack the case with rags until you get it clean. Then clean out the insides.

Is this something I should do in this case, or not worry about it?
In mybexpierenace flushing case does not work very well. If you suspect you sucked debris in split the cases and clean it right.
In your case it appears to me your port chambers are the problem. After all you are dealing with a chicom knockoff product.

In mybexpierenace flushing case does not work very well. If you suspect you sucked debris in split the cases and clean it right.
In your case it appears to me your port chambers are the problem. After all you are dealing with a chicom knockoff product.
So I guess my question now is, will these scratches continue to get worse until I do something about the port edges, or will it just "wear in"?

Good.
Sand the port edges on the sides mostly top and bottom intake and exhaust. Use old 320 dry or 600 wet. Just remove the sharp edge nothing more. Clean the thing and rinse it out good. I use hot water in the sink, literally, or the USC. Be warned you need to dry it out immediately when it's not full of soap and water. Oil the bottom end by filling it 1/3 and dump it to both sides. I do set mine on the stove or in the sun if they are hot or could possibly have water trapped in some weird spot. Spin it over a bunch while tilted to each side with oil. Use a brush on the cylinder walls and the rest of whatever.

One grain of sand will damage stuff. Pack the case with rags until you get it clean. Then clean out the insides.
I love tinkering but that seems like a lot of work for a novice like me that's never even torn down a saw before lol. But I do appreciate the tips in case I do have to go into it in the future.

Back