Piston options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewer

Reaction score
All -

I looked at all the pages here in this section, didn't see it answered anywhere. Just thinking out loud and I'm very new to this but my question is this:

When building a saw - I rarely (as in never) see piston coatings mentioned. I know it's used in other forms of motor sports, usually a ceramic coating on the top for heat with a friction reducing coating on the skirts. There seems to be some advantage to it.

Has this been tried and not worth it? What's the thought?

Andrew

Yes it has been tried, there was a guy here that went by the screen name "timberwolve", he coated the pistons with a ceramic coating(done the combustion chamber too). However, I have never heard of results after long term use. I guess the question relies does the cost make it worth while, factory doesn't do it, so I'm not sure if ithebprocess is justifiable.
Good question, please ask more.

Joey

Some factory and aftermarket pistons have a teflon coating on them to help break-in and longevity.
But for racing your time and money will be better served by first figuring out what size saw you wanna build to suit what class you wanna run,so find out classes in local shows. Then plan carefully and build a copetitive saw for your class. Twist the ears of the experts a lot,they won't talk much(This **** is secret for the top guys) but persist and you will learn what you need to buy and buildd.
And as the other guy said,practise and experience running in competition is just as important as Horsepower,and a proper racing chain counts for just as much too. And "Grampa's secret round filing" will not cut it....no pun intended

Latest posts

Back