Piston ring????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
I just installed a new piston on my Rancher 50. I have the ring installation kit from Bailey's. It seems like it would work really well. I broke the darn ring while trying to lower the jug over it. I lightly oiled the jug, piston, ring, and ring tool. Please help. I will buy a couple of more rings for it this week. What else should I do? Thank you and have a blessed evening.:)

Takes a little practice to get the ring installed on the piston correctly. Make sure the ring is centered on the pin correctly when you install the cylinder.

I'm not sure what you might have done wrong. You must have forced it when you shouldn't have. It will go in easily. As said above, make sure the ring isn't upside down and the end gap is center on the pin. When sliding the jug over the piston, do not spin it. Shove it straight down. Otherwise you will catch the end of the ring in a port and break it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you might have done wrong. You must have forced it when you shouldn't have. It will go in easily. As said above, make sure the ring isn't upside down and the end gap is center on the pin. When sliding the jug over the piston, do not spin it. Shove it straight down. Otherwise you will catch the end of the ring in a port and break it.

Good advice! Spin not good here. It takes a lot of double checking to ensure the rings are aligned on the locating pins. PITA. but better than a bound-up ring......:cry:

Rings are cheap

It's fortunate you realized the ring was broken before completing the assembly . My method is ; place all rings on piston , then starting with upper ring , make sure it is well lubed and installed correctly ,slip lubed cyl. over piston and compress ring into groove with finger nails , cock cyl. slightly to engage ring on side opposite locating pin and gradually work cyl down onto ring as you continue to compress it into groove with finger nails . Just takes a little patience and determination . You could use an extra set of hands to stabalize rod or work cyl. over ring as you compress ring .

Sometimes I will use a worm gear clamp ( well lubed ) installed around rings to lightly compress them into grooves but just loose enough to allow cylinder to push the clamp down the piston body as rings enter cyl . A gentle rocking of cyl. as it envelopes piston will ensure rings enter intact . Then clamp can be undone and removed from around con rod . This can be tricky on the little saws as room is limited .

I just installed a new piston on my Rancher 50. I have the ring installation kit from Bailey's. It seems like it would work really well. I broke the darn ring while trying to lower the jug over it. I lightly oiled the jug, piston, ring, and ring tool. Please help. I will buy a couple of more rings for it this week. What else should I do? Thank you and have a blessed evening.:)

If you are not skilled at clamping the ring with your fingers and sliding the cylinder down over it...buy the red plastic ring clamps you see on eBay or some chainsaw places ...use the correct size for your piston, clamp the ring down and slide the cylinder down on the piston...make sure it is well lubricated with fuel mix oil, ....very easy to do...

If you are not skilled at clamping the ring with your fingers and sliding the cylinder down over it...buy the red plastic ring clamps you see on eBay or some chainsaw places ...use the correct size for your piston, clamp the ring down and slide the cylinder down on the piston...make sure it is well lubricated with fuel mix oil, ....very easy to do...

Exactly, they are cheap and work great.

Mark

The radius on the bottom of the jug can be enlarged slightly with a sanding drum. Some aftermarket jugs hava a very sharp transition there and it's hard to get the ring to slide in. Also if you deck a flat based jug down then you need to recut a bevel or radius on the bottom of the bore to aid with assembly in getting the ring(s) in.

Look at the piston ring end pin. Often it is located in the top half or bottom half of the ring land, the ring ends are notched in a half moon shape. Make sure the notch in the ring ends matches the location of the ring end pin.

Some different locator pin set ups, so not always ans up or down for the ring. Some pins are in the middle of the ring land and the back side of the ring indexes against a end pin that only protrudes half way out the ring land. some ring ends just but flat up against the pin in the middle of the ring land.

Last edited:
If room is limited and/or you have a hard time pushing the ring in with your fingers as you lower the jug, go to the market and get some bamboo skewers that are used for roasting chicken, whatever. They are small diameter, but strong, and allow you to push the ring in with them without damaging anything. Work from the opposite side of the locating pin, and the cylinder will gradually drop down as you push the ring in. If you have applied a gasket sealant on the base of the jug, the skewers are especially good, over your fingers.

Last edited:
Thank you all!!!

I really appreciate everyone's advise! I really enjoy and appreciate everyone's willing to help each other. I will note all the suggestions and will get her going buy the weekend; Lord willing. I might have had the ring upside down. Just to make sure, the piston top has an AB --> stamped into it. This would mean the AB --> would face the exhaust (muffler) side; correct?? Thanks again.:greenchainsaw:

The AB is a size grade. The ARROW should point to the exhaust, and if there is no arrow, the ring pins are on the inlet side.

Thanks

Thanks. I wanted to make sure. I at least installed the piston right. I must have had the ring upside, prohibiting the ring to fully compress. Thank you.

If the locating pins are on the intake side, as you lower the jug, you might be able to look through the intake and make sure the ring is located correctly.

I got it!!

Thanks to you all, I have accomplished my first piston replacement. I will torque it all down to specs and put it all back together tomorrow. Hopefully, she will be running tomorrow night. I kept it stock for know, but if it messes up I will mod it a little. I am thinking about a muffler mod. Anyone have a good muffler mod for this saw? Thanks again and have a blessed evening.

Running!!

I fired it up last night, and will tune this afternoon; Lord willing. Thanks again for all your help. Now I have four running saws; the 032 is next. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back