Pith Hook or Hookaroon for Firewood Cutting....??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow Horse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pulp Hook or Hookaroon for Firewood Cutting....??

Reader's Digest version:
I'm new to firewood cutting. I cut for my own use on the 43 acres that surrounds our home. This year I'm becoming more serious about cutting firewood as I have more time. I'm closing in on 54, so any tool that will make the job easier will be considered.

I have 2 saws, I'm gathering PPE (researching chaps now), a LogRite cant hook w/ universal stand and it looks like it'll help save what's left of my back. I also came across hookaroons and pulp hooks & wanted to know from those with experience what the proper method of using each tool was and if they were going to be back-savers. Thanks.......

Last edited:
Well, I've edited my early AM original post to use the correct terminology...

Thanks for the link.....

I picked up a Stihl hookaroon today (I'm a tool hound) and got the chance to use it. What a great back saver!!! I'm glad I got it. I still might get a pulp hook or some type of tongs....

I love not having to bend over. I was able to complete the task at hand with far less fatigue.

hand tongs

northern tool has hand tongs you can pick up a log in each hand and release them without letting go. the pickaroon is one great tool

Thanks!..... The hand tongs look to be a better option than the pulp hook for my needs. I'll look into them. I'm always a bit leery of NT tools.......

The Labonville video is quite compelling. So much so that they will get my loot when I pull the trigger (actually, trying to get my wife to get them for me for X-Mas). Either way, The full wrap Labonville chaps are in the near future for me.

I love homemade stuff. I can't keep myself from trying to reinvent the wheel. On some items, it works quite well. On others, I know enough to leave them alone.......

Latest posts

Back