Pix of my 066 and a question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What kind of wood is this. I did some clean up work for a lady and this tree was huge. I've only seen this kind of tree and hand full of times, seems like no one knows what it is.

100_2514.jpg

What ever it is my 066 looks right at home on top of it.

Upon looking again, that IS Hackberry. Good firewood, and fun to cut. Seasons quick and makes good heat! I cut a lot of hackberry here.

Upon looking again, that IS Hackberry. Good firewood, and fun to cut. Seasons quick and makes good heat! I cut a lot of hackberry here.

Learned something new again.Has never cut hackberry wouldn't have even known what it was until now.:greenchainsaw:

Yep, Hackberry. Burned a lot of it the last few years. It seasons quickly, splits easily too. Good wood to burn in the fall and spring, burns pretty much straight to ashes, doesn't make much in the way of coals. I use it in my offset smoker too, mild flavor good on pork and chicken.

Last edited:
Here's another picture of it. Does Hackberry grow that big. The last one I cut like this is almost 32 inches across at the base and around 60-70 feet tall.

100_2523.jpg

if that's hackberry, then it must be old, very old.

cause the "warts" on the bark that it's famous for are lookin'
a bit on the smooth side

Here's another picture of it. Does Hackberry grow that big. The last one I cut like this is almost 32 inches across at the base and around 60-70 feet tall.

Yep, it sure can get that big.

We have quite a few in the 30" class around here.

Back