Planting trees with 8foot rootballs...help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothyjkent

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this forum while searching for ways to rig for large tree planting. I have about 25 large trees to plant that are coming from Halka out of NJ. 25 foot cryptomerias (9), 10" cal Honey Locust (7), 25 foot spruce (9). Root balls range from 60" - 96" and weigh 5000 - 8000+ lbs.

Does any one have experiance rigging and planting trees of this size? I Could use some tips.

I have moved quite a few trees, but none as large as these.

Their used to be a Co. out of Mashpee called Allenbey that specialized in large tree planting/transplanting give em a call and ask a few questions. We use large excavators to dig and lift off the flatbeds but sometimes a crane is the only option. Be sure to inspect trunks carefully for injury i.e. physical damage,insect damage, even woodpecker holes and note anything out of the ordinary. This can save you ass down the road. Also make sure you have a post planting watering and monitoring plan agreed on if your gonna give any type of warranty.

Thanks, this all helps. It will be a crane with chains, spreader bar and straps as planting locations are not able to be accessed with equipment other than mini excavator and skid steer. I will take phots and post them when I am done.

A big loader and some heavy duty chains. Wrap the first chain around the ball (horizontally) and then loop the other chains around that chain and the forks on the loader. If you try to attach the chains directly to the basket, it'll break. Other than that, it's just like planting any other tree. Just a little bit bigger. Hope this wasn't too late.

EDIT: Oops, missed the last post. Looks like you've got it figured out. Good luck and we're all looking forward to the pics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back