Plastic gas tank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With so many small engines using plastic gas tanks, it is only a matter of time before they start leaking, especially at the seams. Is there any product on the market that you have used to repair plastic gas tanks?
Thanks for any help with this.
Erik B

about the only problems ive ever come across with a plastic tank is the ones that use a rubber grommet for the petcock, the rubber rots/drys out and starts leaking...
never seen a seam leak.
I wouldnt think there's much out there to seal the tank and most are made of poly ethylene and nothing really bonds to it... other than heating it and welding it back together I don't think there is much you can do, for a permanent repair?

My 395 was leaking gas, but I couldn't tell from where. Pulled the tank and found the top had partially separated at the seam. I just cleaned it up and lightly melted it with a soldering iron. The melted plastic flowed into the seam and sealed up real nice.

Plastic welder?? It's like a pencil soldering iron but the tip is hollow and blows gently superheated air. I don't know however if the gas/oil mix will prevent fusion of the plastic.

They can be welded with a plastic welder.

Most saws are glass reinforced nylon and most small engines are PE.

Mr. HE:cool:

Repaired a few 066 tanks at the seam with the solder iron trick.

Back